MLVApp

Started by qqqavi, May 18, 2018, 02:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qqqavi

Hi everyone,

I've just tried the MLVApp Alpha and then compared two .dng sequences in Resolve,  one exported from MLVApp, the other one exported with  MLVRaw Viewer 1.4.3.
I can't  see any visual differences not even after en extreme grade was applied. The MLVApp dng sequence doubles the size of the MLVRaw Viewer on my disc drive. I guess it is because MLVApp claims to export uncompressed .dng?

Any thoughts?

masc

Why do you not ask this in the MLVApp thread?

I can't tell what MLVRawViewer does, but MLVApp is able to export both, uncompressed and lossless (compressed). 2nd is approximately half the size, quality is identical because it is lossless compressed.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

qqqavi

I guess you know why. Let's have a look at what you have replied on the MLVApp thread:

Quoteuncompressed is uncompressed and lossless is lossless (compressed).

Oh, thank you very much for your very elaborate answer. Thank you for mentioning that uncompressed is uncompressed because I thought that uncompressed was, guess what... compressed.

QuoteI can't tell what MLVRawViewer does
If you can't tell, please don't answer. Do you a favor and don't waste your precious time.

Regarding my question:

Maybe MLVRawViewer just generates the .dng sequence way differently than MLVApp. Is there a visual difference? Guess what, I made a test and there is a subtle one on my waveform (Red and green channels are lifted 1 IRE). Why's that? I don't know, maybe is just my imagination. I'm not sure, that's why I asked the community. There's even a subtle difference between both compressed .dng sequences on the waveform and looks like the difference lays in the saturation (the .dng from MLVApp look more saturated). Or maybe both are the same quality, only they are interpreted differently.

Cheers.

Danne

You should post you test results and start comparing from there. Lossless should not be visible in comparison. Lossy formats will be destructive so masc is correct. Lossless is compressed and so is mlrawviewer.

qqqavi

TEST:

Two .dng sequences 14bits lossless, same raw settings.
.dng from MLVRaw Viewer 1.4.3 and .dng from MLVApp Alpha

In order to see the difference, I mixed the two waveforms. The red one represents the .dng from MLVRawViewer.  There is a slight visual difference between both. Doesn't seem like a big deal, however the MLVApp .dng visually has more red and blue.

In Premiere Pro CC the .dng from MLVApp needs a while to play and it's slower however .dng from MLVRaw Viewer plays smoothly.

bouncyball

@qqqavi

Hi. I'm sure @masc did not mean to offend you.

Quote from: qqqavi on May 19, 2018, 03:46:23 PM
There is a slight visual difference between both. Doesn't seem like a big deal, however the MLVApp .dng visually has more red and blue.
Both apps use different approaches of finding and eliminating bad/hot pixels and correcting vertical stripes. So my guess is, there should be differences in corrected raw data, what surely is shown on the waveform. You have to try turn off all raw corrections in both apps and then compare again, also there can be white and black level differences. And it could be that mlrawviewer uses other white balance.

Quote from: qqqavi on May 19, 2018, 03:46:23 PM
In Premiere Pro CC the .dng from MLVApp needs a while to play and it's slower however .dng from MLVRaw Viewer plays smoothly.
Hm... this is weird. MLV App uses quite similar cDNG header and raw data correction as MLVFS. And compression is exact similar as in mlrawviewer, both use same Baldand's lossless jpeg lib. Maybe the bit depth was different IDK.

Which MLRawviewer do you use original old version without lossless MLV support or newer modified?

regards
bb

qqqavi

If I offended @masc in any way, I apologies.
Perhaps I overreacted because there's seem to be a trend these days: some users get really upset because some newbie dare to ask the "silly" and "obvious" question  that somehow goes against the forum rules and Google is always the way to go.

QuoteBoth apps use different approaches of finding and eliminating bad/hot pixels and correcting vertical stripes.
I'll try that.

QuoteWhich MLRawviewer do you use original old version without lossless MLV support or newer modified?

I used the MLVRaw Viewer 1.4.3 which is the last version. In Resolve, both .dng play smoothly.

Thank you.