[DONE] Gradual ISO changes during Manual video

Started by Leon, August 20, 2012, 06:14:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

When changing ISO whilst recording in manual video mode, it simply jumps between the ISO values, producing big jumps in exposure.  However, during automatic video it is much much smoother.  Could we have it that when ISO is changed it is changed gradually over a few seconds or so?

Perhaps even by momentarily adjusting the shutter speed slightly (if necessary) to smooth the transition (e.g. if shutter speed is 1/50, allow it to be 1/40 or 1/60 as required for a few frames).

Thanks!

a1ex

This can only be implemented for arrow key shortcuts (not for Canon's ISO button).

Digital ISO can be adjusted at every frame and in continuous steps; shutter speed can't be adjusted easily for each frame.

Leon

Are you saying this is already possible with the arrow keys?  When I use the arrow keys to change the ISO it still jumps in large and sudden steps, the same steps as using the ISO button (100,160,200,320,400...).  What I would like is for it to gently transition from one ISO to the next, like the way Auto ISO does it.

Leon

A1ex, are smooth changes in ISO currently available?

nanomad

EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Leon

If there is no way to smoothly adjust exposure whilst recording, how are others managing exposure changes during recording?  Just use Auto ISO when the exposure/lighting could change, or just let it be over/under exposed and correct it in post, or do they just jump the ISO and try to smooth it in post?  Ta.

3pointedit

Or shoot HDR video at preferred extreme ISOs and mix between them in post.
550D on ML-roids

SMPse

Quote from: Leon on August 25, 2012, 12:02:07 AM
...how are others managing exposure changes during recording?
By using a manual lens, with a de-clicked aperture ring, is a great help. You can also use one of these variable ND filers.