[5d MK2] ML Installs fine, but nothing happens after restart

Started by ljentsch, June 30, 2018, 01:42:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ljentsch

- I am on the latest firmware
- My CF card is bootable
- i have the right ML version for my camera

When I install Magic Lantern, the screen says it installs find and please reboot the camera, but after I reboot the camera, everything is just stock-Canon.  Pressing the delete key doesn't bring up any menus, and there is nothing anywhere that is ML-related.  I can do the firmware update again, and the same thing happens: success, reboot, nothing.  I have searched for this same issue and can't find anyone discussing this.  My camera is fine, it's not bricked.  Every component of my camera works, it's just stock Canon.

I am sure the CF card is bootable, because the ML installer TELLS me it is, and says " bootable - 1 " in the upper corner before restart.  The update isn't sticking for whatever reason.

Someone please help, I am at my nerve's end with this project.  Thanks.

Walter Schulz

Just to make sure: You are rebooting your cam *before* timeout?

If so: Use another CF-card. Don't use SD-to-CF-adapters!

ljentsch

Yep, camera says i have about 55 seconds to reboot, and I reboot way before that.  I will try a new CF card, what is the logic, maybe the transfer speed isn't fast enough?  I will retry and let you know

Walter Schulz

Nah, speed might not be a problem here.

Just to humour me:
- Format card in cam
- Copy extracted nightly build contents to card
- Run firmware update
- Turn cam off when asked for reboot.
- Wait a few seconds
- Startup cam and wait some seconds
- Press trashcan button again.

Result? If ML doesn't come up:
Use EOScard (Windows) or Macboot (MacOS) to make card bootable. Insert card into cam, startup and report result.