Canon 60D / Reformatting Memory Card HELP

Started by polaroidgirl, May 08, 2018, 06:35:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polaroidgirl

I'm trying to reformat my memory card that has Magic Lantern because it's causing the issue where my Canon 60D won't power on unless it's a different memory card. I really want to remove Magic Lantern off that card but I can't figure it out.

I tried erasing the memory card through disk utility on my Mac but no luck. How do I uninstall Magic Lantern on a memory card when my camera won't power on with it? I have it in the memory card slot of my computer but there's nothing on the memory card.

HELP.

Walter Schulz

Remove battery, remove card.
Insert battery. Close all comparment doors. Power on cam.
Report results.

dfort

Your card still has the boot flag set and Apple disk utility isn't resetting it. Try using the SD card formatter from sdcard.org or another formatter designed to format SD cards.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

polaroidgirl

@walter - I know that technique but it doesn't solve my memory card problem.
@dfort - I installed the formatter and did all I could with my memory card, no luck. :( any other advice?

dfort

So you already did a low level format with that sd card utility? Can you mount the card on the PC? Are other cards working on your camera?

It is possible that the card got corrupted and will no longer work. This isn't something that is necessarily related to ML. What brand, speed, etc. is the card that failed?

Danne

Why not put on the magic lantern files and then disable bootflag the way it's supposed to?
There is also that generic autoexe.bin dumper you pointed to @dfort when I was dumping 1100D. Noticed that would boot the cam when changing firmware on the cam, otherwise not.