Davinci Resolve struggles

Started by lostfeliz, May 07, 2018, 12:12:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lostfeliz

The struggle: coming up with project settings that help my outputted video match how it looked in Resolve.

I'm working with the latest beta of Resolve 15 (free version). I spent a bunch of time getting recommendations on how to set up my preferences in Resolve. I tried a few setups but my output is coming out with boosted blown out highlights when I bring them into Premiere. I'm resigned to maybe have to start this from scratch. For this last attempt, I set all the color settings to Arri Log C. I've tried many others.

Anyone have a bullet proof (or bullet resistant) workflow?

Also, in case it's not clear, the files being used in Resolve are the DNG sequences from Switch.

50mm1200s

I don't work too much with Resolve, but you should check where the workflow is failing by testing.
- Does it looks OK inside Resolve? If not, then you have to configure the color management panel
- When you export to ProRes, does is look OK when playing with Quicktime? If not, then adjust the color/gamma output
- If all the above are OK, but when you open inside Premiere it is *not* OK, then you have to configure premiere color/gamma settings.

If even configuring everything nothing works, try to export in Rec.709 just to check if the issue is not the wide gamut. If Rec.709 is not OK too, check the display settings, maybe Resolve is automatically working with the systems Color Management settings, idk.

JCut

Quote from: lostfeliz on May 07, 2018, 12:12:41 AM
The struggle: coming up with project settings that help my outputted video match how it looked in Resolve.

I'm working with the latest beta of Resolve 15 (free version). I spent a bunch of time getting recommendations on how to set up my preferences in Resolve. I tried a few setups but my output is coming out with boosted blown out highlights when I bring them into Premiere. I'm resigned to maybe have to start this from scratch. For this last attempt, I set all the color settings to Arri Log C. I've tried many others.

Anyone have a bullet proof (or bullet resistant) workflow?

Also, in case it's not clear, the files being used in Resolve are the DNG sequences from Switch.

I don't know if this is related, but when I imported my old projects from Resolve 14 to 15 beta, everything was boosted kinda of like you described.  I fixed this by going into the project settings, then to Camera RAW, then select CinemaDNG in the pulldown menu.  See if you have the check box "Apply Pre Tone Curve" checked.  If it is, then uncheck it.  The beta was automatically ticking this box for me.

lostfeliz

I started it all from scratch and was able to get better results. I used Canon Log for Input and Timeline color spaces. And Rec709 for output. It worked fine for the first timeline of dailies. Then when I was just making small adjustments to the second day of dailies, the entire timeline whacked out on me and 50 clips immediately were crappy and blown out. Restarting the computer didn't help. I checked project wide settings and nothing had changed. Had to do day two all over again and got it to work.

I'm interested in Resolve, not so much for it's endless power to do serious color correction and grading. I like it because I can mostly correct the ML Raw files to my satisfaction and it renders quickly.

I'd just been struggling using Switch and trying to correcting Log 4444 files in Premiere. I like Colorcast, but the rendering is slow.

50mm1200s

Quote from: lostfeliz on May 09, 2018, 04:16:11 AM
I'd just been struggling using Switch and trying to correcting Log 4444 files in Premiere. I like Colorcast, but the rendering is slow.

This could be a solution: https://www.logarist.com/