noise reduction from lightroom to davinci resolve.

Started by Brawl, November 16, 2014, 04:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brawl

I wish to color in Davinci but Davinci Lite does not have any noise reduction. I have lightroom which have a nice noise reduction utility for RAW: I wish to remove the noise in lightroom then continue my work in Davinci Lite. I did some experiments, but I failed.

I start with ML RawViewer, I make CDNG files from MLV file. I open those files with Ligtroom and then I apply to them some noise reduction. Then I export all the files in DNG or "same as source" (that is CDNG). I open those DNG in Davinci Lite but the noise is still there again, it looks like I have not used Lightroom to remove the noise.

some example:

ISO 6400, and heavy noise reduction (just for test).

lightroom before

lightroom after

davinci lite (the noise come back)

What can I do to allow Davinci Lite to see the noise reduction applied to my DNG from Lightroom please?

EDIT by SDX: please don't post images larger than 600px

Levas

DaVinci can handle TIFF files, so maybe you could export your images as TIFF from lightroom  :-\

jose_ugs

Yeah, but then he'll lose all the value that DNGs bring, WB for example

glubber

Davinci Resolve can't read the development settings you have done in lightroom. This is only possible by Adobe ACR as it can interpret the settings stored inside the CDng. The Cdngs are still untouched raw-files for Resolve.
EOS 550D // Sigma 18-200 // Sigma 18-70 // Canon 10-18 STM

Levas

Quote "Yeah, but then he'll lose all the value that DNGs bring, WB for example"
Yup, but he can adjust white balance in Lightroom just as wel, before exporting to TIFF's  ;D

But if you search on the internet for tutorials of DaVinci Resolve Lite you can find workarounds for noise reduction.

Especially for chroma noise reduction, you separate your video into a color signal and a brightness signal.
Use the blur sliders on the chroma signal and you have chroma noise reduction in Resolve lite  :D
You can even set the amount of blur per color channel, so lot's of options for chroma noise reduction in the Lite version.

jose_ugs

Thanks for those NR hints @Levas, haven't tried those versus Neat Video...

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Audionut

Quote from: Levas on November 16, 2014, 10:54:46 PM
You can even set the amount of blur per color channel, so lot's of options for chroma noise reduction in the Lite version.

Leaving the luminance channel for the film grain.  ;D

Levas

If all else fails, add film grain  :D
Adding noise to mask noise is the best way to go  ;D

Philip Bloom uses film grain and makes 320x240x15fps footage look pro   8)  (So 4K can wait, just add grain  :P)
http://vimeo.com/82428522
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VS3C183G8g

andresharambour

Quote from: Audionut on November 20, 2014, 02:15:48 AM
Leaving the luminance channel for the film grain.  ;D

That's what I do and love the results :)

whysodifficult

Another reason why one prefers Lightroom is that Resolve has very small video window so you don't see the changes, terrible layout to work with the image on one monitor.

ludzik3d

You could also use noise remove from Fusion in Resolve 15.

allemyr

Yes agree that noise reduction is sort of a necassary to have availible. If you don't like Davinci Resolve from the beginning you might not never let like it.

The Resolve Studio version is much cheaper now so if you have a 5D3 I can recommend it. Its terrific! But if you prefer lightroom or AE with Premiere Pro go for that. I see many people doesn't want to change.