Replacing focusing screen on 5DIII

Started by axelcine, April 27, 2018, 07:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

axelcine

Fast and precise manual focusing is paramount to getting the best results from the manual Samyang lenses (and old but excellent lenses from other suppliers, ie. my belowed Nikkor-S 50mm 1.4.) But with the focusing screens supplied with modern digital cameras fast focusing can be a daunting task, especially if the light conditions are less than ideal. I have replaced the focusing screens in my two 5D mark III's with the EC-B focusing screen originally designed for the 5D mark II. The EC-B has a split-image field in center of the screen - and it works extremely well with lenses better than f3.5-4. The 5DIII is not primarily designed for exchangeability of the focusing screen, but the procedure is really straight forward and very simple.
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

D_Odell

Quote from: axelcine on April 27, 2018, 07:44:35 PM
Fast and precise manual focusing is paramount to getting the best results from the manual Samyang lenses (and old but excellent lenses from other suppliers, ie. my belowed Nikkor-S 50mm 1.4.) But with the focusing screens supplied with modern digital cameras fast focusing can be a daunting task, especially if the light conditions are less than ideal. I have replaced the focusing screens in my two 5D mark III's with the EC-B focusing screen originally designed for the 5D mark II. The EC-B has a split-image field in center of the screen - and it works extremely well with lenses better than f3.5-4. The 5DIII is not primarily designed for exchangeability of the focusing screen, but the procedure is really straight forward and very simple.
Interesting, was there a guide that you followed? Took any pictures? Thanks!
5D3 [size=6pt](OLPF removed)[/size] :: 1.1.3 :: Canon FD L Serie