[SOLVABLE, battery out during fw upgrade] 1200D softbrick while downgrade

Started by Raov, April 26, 2018, 05:15:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raov

okay so, I was trying to get a dump of 1.0.2 and while downgrading to 1.0.1 so i could make a bootflag on the camera (didnt know that you can do that on your pc yt) and while downgrading the battery holding mech for some reason failed and made the battery jump out of the camera. (also the SD card bay sensor was not working or always pulled high so the camera thought that the bay is closed) so i quickly plugged it back in and... begone $400, the camera is not booting up. not sure if the bootloader is corrupted because i remember the downgrade process being finished by 80% before the battery flew out.
any tips for restoring the firmware?
7D.203 + 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

ted ramasola

5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

a1ex

Moved my reply here, to keep things on topic. The new topic was created after my reply, so I couldn't just move the post (unfortunately that resulted in a broken link).

Quote from: Raov on April 25, 2018, 04:14:05 PM
camera has a softbrick now, battery fell out while downgrading to 1.0.1

Quote from: a1ex
If that's really true, assuming you had ML installed before the incident, head over to portable ROM dumper and send me a PM with your ROM (including any backup copies you might have from previous installations of ML).

Otherwise, if service is not an option, this and this can be used as a last resort.

This is the first case of interrupted firmware upgrade I'm looking at. To be able to run user code on the camera, the boot flag must be already set (we can't set it without entering Canon menu and running Firmware Update); in other words, I can look into it if (and only if) ML was installed previously on the camera.

Raov

Quote from: a1ex on April 26, 2018, 09:34:17 AM
in other words, I can look into it if (and only if) ML was installed previously on the camera.

it was, let me PM you the latest dumps i have

Quote from: a1ex on April 26, 2018, 09:34:17 AM
Otherwise, if service is not an option, this and this can be used as a last resort.

first link is useless for me, i dont have any battery grip pins.
second may help though.

Raov

upd: camera shows no signs of life, possible bootloader corruption.
asked a1ex about the issue, waiting for a answer

dfort

@Raov - Sounds like this is the first case of a jumping/flying battery so please have some patience while a1ex looks into it.

On your first post you said that you had 1.0.2 running on the camera and you were downgrading in order to set the boot flag on the camera. You can set the card boot flag with various apps like MacBoot and EOScard but you need Magic Lantern to set the camera boot flag.

So, when you say that the camera shows no signs of life--are you sure the battery is charged? Is the battery door closing properly? (Sounds like there might be an electrical contact problem there.) Have you tried starting the camera without the card? (If both the camera and card boot flags are set and there is no valid autoexec.bin file on the card the camera will not start.)

Raov

Quote from: dfort on April 26, 2018, 04:46:54 PM
So, when you say that the camera shows no signs of life--are you sure the battery is charged? Is the battery door closing properly? (Sounds like there might be an electrical contact problem there.) Have you tried starting the camera without the card? (If both the camera and card boot flags are set and there is no valid autoexec.bin file on the card the camera will not start.)
yes i did charge the battery.
tried to start it up without the card, nothing.
and even if the battery door is open, camera still turned on (when i had intact FW ofc)

a1ex

Quote from: Raov on April 27, 2018, 11:40:45 AM
and even if the battery door is open, camera still turned on (when i had intact FW ofc)

That's unexpected; no other Canon EOS camera does this, to my knowledge, unless the battery door microswitch is defective (or manually pushed to trick the camera).

Raov

Quote from: a1ex on April 27, 2018, 11:54:09 AM
unless the battery door microswitch is defective

probably, i had my SD slot replaced.

a1ex

Turns out OP had the boot flag disabled, so we weren't able to run any code on the camera :(

Raov

Quote from: a1ex on April 30, 2018, 11:20:08 AM
Turns out OP had the boot flag disabled
yeah that's a bummer. sent it to my local repair shops to try to either reflash the ROM or to change out the logic board.

a1ex

Solvable after this discovery (just in case anyone else has the same issue). If the boot flag is not enabled on the camera, we can execute diagnostic code via UART.

Reflashing the ROM after an interrupted firmware update is also doable.