Need help with post production workflow.

Started by Alexmach, April 22, 2018, 01:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexmach

Hi guys
I ve already made a lot of tests to be able to use mlraw but i am really stuck here in some very important details about post production workflow.

With davinci resolve i got the fastest way to edit my footage from dngs but the problem is that its not the same quality of clarity and color as working dngs with lightroom and export as a seq jpg.

The next problem is that the jpg sequence from lightroom appears some weird effects , cant describe them well , i can see them on the water movement.

Any suggestion about these problems i ll be very grateful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaCafu-0918&feature=youtu.be

Levas

Quote from: Levas on June 01, 2017, 09:39:35 AM
This is normal for all camera's except the 5d3
This is color aliasing due the line skipping sensor readout.
Buying an anti-aliasing filter is one solution.

But this can also be fixed (most of the times) with software.

For best detailed results, you should checkout the raw editor RawTherapee, it's free/open source.
It's a raw photo editor and has multiple options for debayering, in my opinion the LMMSE debayering works best for lineskipping raw video files from magic lantern.

Check out the RawTherapee workflow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MweH3RAssXs
www.RawTherapee.com

For a quicker workflow for getting rid of all those colored speckles, you could separate the video file in Luma and chroma channel and do a blur effect on the chroma channel. This can be done in many video editors, also in the free version of Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve software.
In Resolve, change colormode on a node to LAB and disable the L(uma) channel, now do a blur effect on the same node.

Also, the colored speckles turn up more with wide angle lenses, and supersharp lens settings like from 2 stops closed down diafragma (f8 and f11).
So, shooting with diafragma wide open can help a little, just as closing down to f16 or f22, the lens is less sharp at minimum and maximum diafragma.
That said, I shoot a lot of video with the Canon 6D and the sharp 35mm f2.0 IS and use it a lot at f8 and f11, and all color aliasing can be removed with RawTherapee.

In Resolve, change colormode on a node to LAB and disable the L(uma) channel(right click on the node and disable channel 1), now do a blur effect on the same node.

Kharak

Quote from: Levas on April 22, 2018, 04:01:21 PM
In Resolve, change colormode on a node to LAB and disable the L(uma) channel(right click on the node and disable channel 1), now do a blur effect on the same node.

Awrsome, thank you. was looking for the chroma and luma seperation trick.

Blurring chroma should also help getting rid of moire. Will test it.
once you go raw you never go back

Alexmach

Thank you very much !
Why grading in resolve looks so different from lightroom ?
I mean in lightroom the image looks so much better , i wish i could do that in resolve.

Levas

I don't know where the difference in video and photo editing come from, but I know what you mean.
Photo raw editors are a lot different compared to video editors.
But I think the gap closes with every new software that comes.

Did you already find the 'Camera raw' tab menu in the 'color' window ?
It already comes close to photo raw editors.
If you change 'decode using' to 'clip' and 'white balance' to 'custom', you can change all the settings you want.
Color temp
tint
Exposure
Highlights
shadows
etc.

Open up a video scope window and set it to histogram and you're ready to go

Alexmach

Well this is the way i work with resolve but i cant get the picture quality i have in lightroom.
I ll try with rawtherapee to see how it works.
Thanx again !

reddeercity

How you tried MLVProducer ? The best open source raw video grading app there is ! It's the open source "After Effect +ACR" equivalent , very fast has all the raw adjustments + grading tools (lut support , color space , etc. .. ) . Also does lossless compression , dual iso , does FNP (fixed noise patterns) the list go on . Just load up your mlv's and start correcting , what you see is what you get in the final file .