Started by Melvin Jose, April 19, 2018, 12:25:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melvin Jose

Resolution: 1920 x 818 at 25/50 fps
Timelapse: 1932 x 1290
Color grade: Davinci Resolve 12.5
Edit: Adobe Premiere Pro

50mm1200s

Wow, very dynamic movements. I like the film-like color grading and the sound design is very good too.
Just a question: how are you uploading it to youtube? I've downloaded it using youtube-dl and the DASH manifest is odd. As a recommendation: youtube has now HDR support (10-12bit) and they suggest you upload in ProRes with modified metadata and matroska container (.mkv). Will take more time to upload, but I think this would fix some banding in your video...

Dmytro_ua

Wow
Can you please tell more about new Zhiyun Crane 2 with ML. Does it perform all features with ML?
5d3 1.2.3 | Canon 16-35 4.0L | Canon 50 1.4 | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro
Ronin-S | Feelworld F6 PLUS

Melvin Jose

Quote from: 50mm1200s on April 19, 2018, 07:26:47 AM
Wow, very dynamic movements. I like the film-like color grading and the sound design is very good too.
Just a question: how are you uploading it to youtube? I've downloaded it using youtube-dl and the DASH manifest is odd. As a recommendation: youtube has now HDR support (10-12bit) and they suggest you upload in ProRes with modified metadata and matroska container (.mkv). Will take more time to upload, but I think this would fix some banding in your video...

It has been a long while since I uploaded to YouTube. Didn't know that you can now upload Prores 422. I just uploaded a h.264 export.
Why would one upload with a modified metadata and matroska container? First time I heard about it.

Quote from: Dmytro_ua on April 19, 2018, 12:09:24 PM
Wow
Can you please tell more about new Zhiyun Crane 2 with ML. Does it perform all features with ML?

Actually it doesn't! I was very sad to find out you can't use the Crane to control the settings/start recording when using ML. Everything is fine when using it without ML but as soon as you use ML and live view it gives up on you. Such a shame. Now I just have to manually start and stop recording with the button on the camera.

Dmytro_ua

Quote from: Melvin Jose on April 19, 2018, 02:45:00 PM
Such a shame. Now I just have to manually start and stop recording with the button on the camera.

:(
What about follow focus, does it work with ML?

50mm1200s

Why would one upload with a modified metadata and matroska container? First time I heard about it.

As described in the article linked, youtube needs a cue on if the file is HDR or not, so you have to write this on metadata. They have a tool on github and also a tutorial for premiere pro, you can just read on the article. The ARRI channel on youtube have now many HDR videos, if you want samples...
I you the file also needs to be in Rec.2020, so that's a problem if you're (like me) using MLVApp or other software that only supports Rec.709.

Melvin Jose

Quote from: 50mm1200s on April 19, 2018, 03:53:21 PM
As described in the article linked, youtube needs a cue on if the file is HDR or not, so you have to write this on metadata. They have a tool on github and also a tutorial for premiere pro, you can just read on the article. The ARRI channel on youtube have now many HDR videos, if you want samples...
I you the file also needs to be in Rec.2020, so that's a problem if you're (like me) using MLVApp or other software that only supports Rec.709.

I tried to click your link but it doesn't take me anywhere.
I am going to check out ARRI's channel.

Quote from: Dmytro_ua on April 19, 2018, 03:30:46 PM
:(
What about follow focus, does it work with ML?

Nothing works with ML and Crane 2 in liveview mode :(  Not even liveview itself

Dmytro_ua

Quote from: Melvin Jose on April 19, 2018, 04:11:29 PM
Nothing works with ML and Crane 2 in liveview mode :(  Not even liveview itself

Thanks for information. I couldn't find any confirmation of this online. I was going to buy Zhiyun Crane 2 to use ML with it's follow focus feature, and now I have think over again.. This feature is really important for me   :( :(

mothaibaphoto

Very strange, coz i have device that actually works - here is my quote from "Remote follow focus." theme back in 2016:
"
...That Aputure V Grip USB Focus Handel V-Grip have just arrived and I make a quick test: it works, but...
Not from the first attempt and i several times freezes camera,
finally i realised that it's important to first connect and switch on the device, just after that turn on the camera.
And even this way sometimes it just not works. I need to restart camera several times.
It has 3 speed presets selectable by button, two of them seems too slow for me.
It can control aperture too, has focus/aperture switch button.
Zoom button activates x5/x10 view....
"
So, what so special with this one?

Dmytro_ua

I've found some info in comments from another video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=831OZIoTEWQ
The author says that: "follow focus works very well with ML;)"

As you can see in description, he has the same Zhiyun Crane 2. Camera: Canon 5D mark III

I'll try to reach him via private message

50mm1200s

Quote from: Melvin Jose on April 19, 2018, 04:11:29 PM
I tried to click your link but it doesn't take me anywhere.
I am going to check out ARRI's channel.

F*ck, didn't know the link was broken. Here:
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/7126552

chrisfrancia

i have a crane, will try using MLRAW with it today. even if the built in follow focus doesnt work when shooting RAW you can definitely buy the servo follow focus and that would work since you can disconnect the camera and it would still work.
[5D3 1.2.3 ML] [6D 1.1.6 ML]

HondaATC

That is some beautiful footage. Have been considering a gimbal myself for use with my 5d3. Overall, are you satisfied with the Crane 2? This model keeps popping up in most of my research.

Melvin Jose

Quote from: HondaATC on April 26, 2018, 01:58:11 PM
That is some beautiful footage. Have been considering a gimbal myself for use with my 5d3. Overall, are you satisfied with the Crane 2? This model keeps popping up in most of my research.

It's an amazing gimbal. Worth the price. On the other side, the DJI Ronin S is looking pretty sweet also.

arrinkiiii

Hi Melvin, great vid, amazing!!!

I have a question, where did you get the sound fx, can you share with us?

Thanks, and keep the good work!

Melvin Jose

Quote from: arrinkiiii on May 02, 2018, 11:34:07 AM
Hi Melvin, great vid, amazing!!!

I have a question, where did you get the sound fx, can you share with us?

Thanks, and keep the good work!

I download lots of sounds from freesound.org
I like sounds coming from camera's, tapeplayers, projectors, cloth and other organic things.
Next to that I use Risers and Swells

arrinkiiii

nikki

what was the post workflow?

which ML build were you using?

Kharak

Actually it doesn't! I was very sad to find out you can't use the Crane to control the settings/start recording when using ML. Everything is fine when using it without ML but as soon as you use ML and live view it gives up on you. Such a shame. Now I just have to manually start and stop recording with the button on the camera.

On the 5D3 with ML, all controlls works with the crane. F-stop, shutter, start/stop and the follow focus.

Report the issue to zhiyun, perhaps they will make a firmware update.
once you go raw you never go back

Tyronetheterrible

The Zhiyun Crane 2 works fine with my 6D as well. Granted, I cannot access the Magic Lantern menu itself, but all the controls through the Crane 2 like start/stop record, aperture, shutter speed, ISO, and even the follow focus wheel work perfectly.

Melvin Jose

Quote from: Kharak on May 08, 2018, 05:52:12 AM
On the 5D3 with ML, all controlls works with the crane. F-stop, shutter, start/stop and the follow focus.

Report the issue to zhiyun, perhaps they will make a firmware update.
Quote from: Tyronetheterrible on May 08, 2018, 07:32:51 PM

The Zhiyun Crane 2 works fine with my 6D as well. Granted, I cannot access the Magic Lantern menu itself, but all the controls through the Crane 2 like start/stop record, aperture, shutter speed, ISO, and even the follow focus wheel work perfectly.

Have you guys tested it in movie mode? I can get the controls to work in photo mode, but when I want to shoot RAW video in movie mode it just doesn't work. Granted everything works fine without ML but that's not what I'm aiming for.
I made a short video on my phone showing you what is happening.
You can watch it here

Kharak

I can answer for 5d3 1.2.3 and everything works. ML menu, movie mode, photo mode and all Crane controls.
once you go raw you never go back

Melvin Jose

So after further testing I found out that the 50/60 fps 3x3 is what is giving me problems with the Crane controls. When I switch back to 25 fps everything seems to be working fine.

Tyronetheterrible

Quote from: Melvin Jose on May 09, 2018, 01:09:53 PM
So after further testing I found out that the 50/60 fps 3x3 is what is giving me problems with the Crane controls. When I switch back to 25 fps everything seems to be working fine.

Damn, that's a shame! Even the follow focus wheel stops working when in 3x3 binning mode?

Dmytro_ua

Quote from: Melvin Jose on May 09, 2018, 01:09:53 PM

Does it actually ML issue? Can you try regular Canon 720p 50/60 fps with Crane 2 without ML?