Canon EOS M - Early Spring

Started by loknar, April 14, 2018, 07:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loknar

I did some tests using experimental sh_uhs.mod module and this is the result.
(more information about module https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12862.0)

dfort

Wow, shot at "2520x1072(2.35:1)@24 fps in 12-bit lossless compression (55 MB/s bandwidth)." So I take it you're getting continuous recording with the sd_uhs module? "70 MB/s instead of 40 MB/s."

3K raw video on an EOSM, nice! Looks like we can go even higher resolution on these cameras.

loknar

Yes,  most of the time, thanks to ML developers, in this case specifically @a1ex and you.

That looks very promising and interesting.

mesebar2

Wow, that's brilliant!!!
I've got an important question, Loknar. What is the crop factor in the case of the resolution you used?

loknar

Compared to 35 mm camera, crop is 3.4. I have Canon 15-45 and most of the time i used it at 15 mm so it results into 51 mm.

Danne

This is awesome. I tested my eosm with the hack and it delivers 12bit continuous in 3xzoom mode 2520k. Gonna try some material with my 10-20 f3.5 sigma today.

mesebar2

That's fabulous, thank you!
Is there a way to put hands on a built module?  :P

loknar

Teamsleepkid

how do you do it? if someone could please explain. id like to try it :)
EOS M

Danne

Check the sd_uhs thread. By the way teamsleepkid. What card are you using?

Teamsleepkid

cool ill check. sandisk extreme 95MB
EOS M

Danne

Danne

Could you try and report this build @Teamsleepkid:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-Nightly.2018Apr17.EOSM202_sd_uhs.zip

Go into DEBUG menu and press SD overclock option. Do it in photo mode. After the test is done you switch to movie mode and start recording. Would be good if you could report what your best numbers are after the test is done to see what frequency your card will be using. Hopefully 160mhz around 50-60mb/s. Or more...

The build provided contains Alex latest sd_uhs code but do not blame me if anything strange happens :).

loknar

I did another one, other than a bit cumbersome hack activation everything went smoothly.

theBilalFakhouri

Nice tests!
The colors is really nice in the last video. But have you upload it in 1440p ? I can get only 1080p.

And if you can make an extended cut will be a lot nicer because we already can record about 4-6 seconds @ 2520x1072  24fps (11-bit lossless) without sd_uhs.

loknar

Thanks.
I uploaded it at 2560x1090, but youtube has new "feature" that it won't allow to pick higher resolution than what your screen has. I have 1920x1200 screen and cannot pick 4k anywhere on YT, very rarely it allows me to pick 1440p.
Other possibility is that higher the resolution, longer time it takes to generate video.
And also YT might consider wide aspect ratio as unsupported and allow only FullHD (since it has 1090 lines).
I don't know what it is, but it is uploaded in same way as previous video and my friend with bigger monitor confirmed,  that there is 1440p.

As for extended cut, here is longest shot i did, 36 seconds (i didn't needed longer so i stopped it, camera could continue to at least 4GB limit, this was 1.7 GB) 

mesebar2

Thank you so much for your answer, Loknar! :)

I'm sorry it took m time to answer, but i'm traveling and have limited access to connection