Hiphop Video:HDR mapping & Extreme Slow Motion

Started by chiukee, August 20, 2012, 09:49:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chiukee

Hiphop Cool Dance Video with little story~
HDR mapping color correction:

I'm new on making video.
there are still some mistake on the effects. But i don't have time to correct it.
BTW, Enjoy it :o)
They are student of university in hong kong~

Slow Motion:
My dream is bringing love and hope to the world with my videos. I don't think it is childish!
MY PORTFOLIO:https://vimeo.com/chinghung

favvomannen

Really awsome!!!. What picstyle / camera / lightning did you use in generaL?
and what lenses?

bart

Very nice work! Well done. I hope you can add some comment on the HDR part.

It has a lot of energy and nice scenery. Good work with continuity in movement over totally different scenes. Interesting use of the blown highlights to get some sort of high key effect with vague structures of the building in the background.

albert-e

Quote from: chiukee on August 20, 2012, 09:49:52 AM
Hiphop Cool Dance Video with little story~

I'm new on making video.
there are still some mistake on the effects. But i don't have time to correct it.
BTW, Enjoy it :o)
They are student of university in hong kong~

I was dancing after that. Great music video. Little more blending effect from the black/color dance routine will set this video apart.

chiukee

Thank you very much for watching this Mv and your comments :). Maybe I have dealt with it more than 10 days. I am bored every time I watch it. And I am even more unsatisfied each time I watch this. Many shots are not good enough :-0.

For your questions:
PicStly:
I dont't really do too much on the picture style because I can only get the color I want in the post. I normally use Standard Style.
Camera:
I used Canon T3i (called 600d in my country) (80% of the shots)   60D(My friend)(20% of the shots)
Lens:
50mm 1.8, 18-55mm Kit, Sigma 70-300mm,   and few shots with a 24-70L lens(from my friend)
Lighting:
one handheld portable LED light (very cheap and bad quality, made in china, fake brand)
3set of 800w lighting (borrowed from school)
I dont use reflector or any lighting outdoor.

Place I did the HDR color correction (I dont know how should I call this work flow):
2:12-2:17 : I have done color corrections separately. On the left side of the frame, I make it more Yellow. On the right side of the frame, I make it more blue. For the people, I make it in a correct exposure and saturate level. Because this shot was shoot in a back light, the Big sun is behind the girl. If I let the girl get good exposure, building will be over exposure to all white. While my Dslr T3i doesn't have DR, I need to correct it in the post. I decided not to use Magic Lantern's HDR because I can't solve the ghost problem yet. Also, decrease of resolution is a big problem for me ( e.g.: 720 50p for Magic Lantern's HDR function)

3:33 Blue sky
I mask the sky, and lower its exposure and keep the ground in a correct exposure. Same as 2:12-2:17

4:12 Solo
Do some thing like before. I just try to make the girl sharper, and your eye more directly to the girl.
There was a lighting upper the wall behind, and fill some back light for the girl, make her separately from the all black background.
But the camera take that lighting in failure, I just use aftereffect to mask it. I don't know how to explain.
Because of the small place, it is impossible to set a lighting behind the girl. my camera can't not avoid taking the light stand and that whole thing. Then, I need to do some tricks in the post.

1:00-1:40
You can see there are half of people inside the building and half of people out there under the shiny sun.
It is very difficult and wasting time to do masking HDR for each shot. And it is no way to fix it from picture style.
I try to make it more detail in the frame (dont want half of people got overexposure) with "Curve" function in the editing software
Result is still not so good but better than original.

Last conclu:
Magic lantern helps my T3i a lot as I can't change the Color Tempeture(K) from the original firmware.
Dont you think that this MV is not sharp?I don't know what should be the best setting for output.
I just think it is very blurry and low resolution than I watch it in Adobe premiere.
Maybe I've got the limit of my camera or lens.
I am looking for a new powerful camera~ of course, I need to get more part-time job for the money :o)

My dream is bringing love and hope to the world with my videos. I don't think it is childish!

3pointedit

You are right the output from the DSLRs befoe 5D mkIII are soft. If you add sharpening in camera you make the moire worse.
550D on ML-roids

bart

Quote from: chiukee on August 24, 2012, 02:29:54 PM
Thank you very much for watching this Mv and your comments :). Maybe I have dealt with it more than 10 days. I am bored every time I watch it. And I am even more unsatisfied each time I watch this. Many shots are not good enough :-0.

Really?? So you are new in film making. I only look at what great things you have achieved and that is very impressive. I'm relieved that you didn't get everything right the first time. And I bet the other music video makers with their expensive gear and big crew of professionals are relieved that this still poses a bit of a challenge for you. Don't be so hard on yourself. Only by practise you can see what you can do with your equipment in a few days. And then you can improve from there.
And about the image quality. I would recommend not to experiment on a shoot with so much people that do their best to make a good video. You should experiment in advance. Try the whole idea out with one or two people including post processing. Then judge if the results are good enough or not. Then improve your workflow or accept that the camera is not suitable for these kind of shots. Learn your camera inside out. Know it's advantages and limitations and bring out the best in your productions.

In the case of some indoor shots. The choice of standard picture style and not properly exposed images due to limited or wrongly placed available light, made your post processing options limited. You start with an oversaturated and underexposed picture. Like the elevator scene with the orange overalls.

chiukee

Quote from: b4rt on August 26, 2012, 09:37:15 AM
Really?? So you are new in film making. I only look at what great things you have achieved and that is very impressive. I'm relieved that you didn't get everything right the first time. And I bet the other music video makers with their expensive gear and big crew of professionals are relieved that this still poses a bit of a challenge for you. Don't be so hard on yourself. Only by practise you can see what you can do with your equipment in a few days. And then you can improve from there.
And about the image quality. I would recommend not to experiment on a shoot with so much people that do their best to make a good video. You should experiment in advance. Try the whole idea out with one or two people including post processing. Then judge if the results are good enough or not. Then improve your workflow or accept that the camera is not suitable for these kind of shots. Learn your camera inside out. Know it's advantages and limitations and bring out the best in your productions.

In the case of some indoor shots. The choice of standard picture style and not properly exposed images due to limited or wrongly placed available light, made your post processing options limited. You start with an oversaturated and underexposed picture. Like the elevator scene with the orange overalls.

wow, A big thanks for your comment and suggestion.
I agree that I should invite few more guys helping the post processing. I may try this next time :)

I read some article about low contrast setting on Canon Dslr which is aimed for little more DR correction in the post processing.
But I have limited equipment, the only one camera - my T3i( or my friend's 60d with same quality sensor). I am afraid of noise coming out when I fine tune the footage back to proper contrast level.
As my experience, 400iso is almost the last step for me. I am afraid of doing too much color correction on footage with more than 800iso setting.

Or do I misunderstand the reason of using low contrast pic style?
May you share more of your experience to me? :)

phunkyboy

That's amazing footage,  the dancing really fantastic too.I am  retired from bboy (injury) so now i want to film dancers . I aspire to get that good at video .Btw some mistakes are happy mistakes ,they not technically right but somehow work because U creating art as opposed to constructing a building.  Thank You .

calinourss

This is pro stuff dudd, every second of this video is AWESOME!

deleted.account.01

hello :)

i dont wanna to be only one who have something to say aboute bad sidez of this production...

its like mostly happend in all videos these days..

in midle end of movie is medium ok but first miuntes in  This MusicMovie are simple not synhronize sound  and frames..

ok they are cus peoples move alot  so some moves  are looks liek they are synhro..but im not realy sure if it was done in purpose..

this is Music Video so it need to be Muche More Dynamic..

u use Adobe premiere ? or more detailed.. u use track for video and music what is limited ?

what i mean by limited... u can move single track in your video edytor by Frames or by Miliseconds ? ..

this i mean..

scenes where peoples dancing.. you use there music what u later use for editing ?...or they dancing to music what is not same track waht u use in editing  ? if yes it can be simple now to synhro..
But if u use another music for dancers while u recording and another music track when u editing it only bring  more troubles than helps..

generaly i love sharpnes in movies liek on 720p

chiukee

Thanks so much for your comment.
I am currently studying in a Film School.
I have learnt about sound editing these months. Now, I can really understand your ideas.
This is a earlier project. I don't even know what is sound in that time.
But just watch it again now, I can see the problem you mentioned.

I used Priemere to edit this dance video. There are still some other issue that make the problem you mentioned.
First one is the dancers didn't dance so good. You can see some is correct, so is wrong step. Although I had take 4-5times in each sessions and bring a dancing teacher together, there are still a problem. Second one is their steps do not hit the beat exactly, I sync the music with clip just with the on-board mic records. The last, the main issue, is what you mentioned. I didn't use any sound editing software to edit that music video.

Thanks so much for you comment. I love bad things about my project because I can learn and do better next time.

Now I have learn 2sound editing software to have my current project(Sonar & protools)
Here is my latest work on sound only, Enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3TQuAgVqHU

deleted.account.01

Quote from: chiukee on December 24, 2012, 06:38:13 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3TQuAgVqHU

i used both sonar and protools ? well that last sounds familiar :D ..
only for sound i prefer Cubase...but video and frames and realy precise synhros are best for me in Sony Vegas ..u got there chances to move item on time line any where ulike so u r not limited by frames..

tis sounds stuff its nothing big but i m happy u check it..propadly u knwo more stuff from school ..i m just self learner..

quantize to frames ..if u got sonyvegas u can find it in top menue bar.. i like premiere cus  i fell like effects or colour corections they got better finaly quality..sony vegas is cool cus editing on track is so fun and eazy with thsi software but im not sure if effects or fades in vegas are 32 bit.  i prefere  32 bit colours in movies but when i using some effects with light..16 bit is maybe good for some production ..but when u make test with 16 and 32 bit let say simple Flare or some Star object its eazy to see how light fading in steps ...i dont like it..same with real light..

i like to share one more thing what i learn in time.. when u make shoting like in this vid  make more close shots..i dont mean zooming ..i mean record more close-up`s ..  try to record alot of them or those one what u like  to use in movie ( sometimes its good to have picture of all before u start shoting )

on end one more one thing..turnon for dancers same audio track what u  like use later  in editing..make them dance to this .. with this all synhros sometimes will be done before u star editing ;) .. just replace precisly audio u use in vid with original Wave. ( maybe with Malcolm Synhro Soft  what ithing can be grate for single audio track`s* )

chiukee

You are a self learner? that is unbelievable. It seems you work very hard on sound editing.
I am still a starter on video. It is very a nice thing to learn about.

If you have time, there is one more clip I make recently.
https://vimeo.com/52209587

I compose a song for this video. I do it one-man-band.
Enjoy it~

It will be my pleasure if I can watch some of your portfolio.

deleted.account.01

i dont have my portfolio...

i was have one chanel on yt with my editing but that was just Game play editing..i made there some synhros and stuff but that was only recorded game .. well i prepared uncompresed avi files ( aboute 300 gb )  some 1.8 gb per file.. with lol 80 frames per second .
my old laptop almost died after editing.. i not use there some extra fx cus t oslow laptop cpu for more  cool adds..but tat account is closed :/ .. i was need to close it cus soem lame google + account make mess or i make mess with it and i lock up my account cus i remove google+service... :/

well..i was edit in 80pfs files but imade bigest newbe mistake ever i can made..i was ue project setings with 30 fps :S :S :S :S :S .. yes i knwo so stiupid  and nonsense :/ .. when i find way to unlock my old account i will give u some links..

i got some deviantart stuff but all stuff there is old and its most my 3d aka 2d grapcis..and few shots with some borowed  20 gb pounds  digital camera ( in one post i say i never used digital ..its still true.. )

i not doing muche stuff at the moment .. few years back muche more cus iwas in my prime home in poland where i was got all my analog stuff..
i must say im all the time in move from one place to another and its little hard :/ connect things what i like with this waht i must to do..
i just bought my first  digital cam so i must say im less than newbe now but in time :D i  want to change my leve lof newbe`nes  ..

i  colecting now materials what i want to use in time for some movie with stills or still  in movie mode..
i let u knwo when i done something what is good for show to peoples..liek for now i got some crapy and its not good for sharing..:/ ..