no green ISO

Started by CalBoy87, August 20, 2012, 06:25:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CalBoy87

Hi. Installed the ML and love it so far. I understand that setting ISO with negative exposure gain, would make it shows up as green on LCD. Well, mine stays orange/yellow all the time, when move to ISO 25000 color changes to red, but no green at all. Is not a big deal, just wondering if this is normal behavior on 5DMKII with ML 2.3. Other than that is awesome, give me Auto ISO in M mode and I will truly support it.

KarateBrot

Auto ISO and M mode contradict each other. Why don't you just choose another mode?
And if you choose ISO 25000 it's no wonder that it won't show up as green. It's full of noise and pumped up digital gain. for example choose ISO 200 and lower the ML gain to -0.3EV and you will get green ISO 160
If you donate a RED EPIC to me you officially are very cool ;)

CalBoy87

I am not complaining that ISO 25000 doesn't show as green, but that NONE of the ISO setting does, which should according to manual. As for Auto ISO in M mode, I found it very well implemented in Nikon, as well as in the new 5DMKIII.

Zaphod

I think it depends on the quality of light and your sensor. Every sensor is slightly different, different channels clip at slightly different levels. So while in one scene, red might be clipping on your sensor, in another, green might clip first on somebody else's camera. At least, that's how I understand it.

If you read a bit further (on this forum or elsewhere), somebody mentions that the tint is EITHER green or red depending on few factors. I can't find a link to it, but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be able to clarify.

CalBoy87

I am not talking about clipping channels, is only color of ISO settings displayed on LCD. While in zero gain, ISO display in orange, while negative in green, while too high in red. My ISO display shows only orange, and red at ISO 25000. I am wondering if this is normal behavior or am I missing some settings.

KarateBrot

No everything is okay. You can't get green ISO at 25000

CalBoy87

one more try: NONE of my ISO shows in green color, from ISO 100 to ISO 12800 are all orange, I though some of them 160, 320 should be shown in green as they have negative gain

a1ex

See the user guide - it depends on the method used to obtain ISO 160.

mist3rgrinch

I'm new to magic lantern as well and thought the green iso feature helps out a lot, how do you actually set it up to do that? I've read the ML manual built in the program using the info button but it still doesn't come up.

Zaphod

Quote from: CalBoy87 on August 20, 2012, 12:27:48 PM
I am not talking about clipping channels, is only color of ISO settings displayed on LCD. While in zero gain, ISO display in orange, while negative in green, while too high in red. My ISO display shows only orange, and red at ISO 25000. I am wondering if this is normal behavior or am I missing some settings.

Ah! Got it!
That is a handy feature. No idea how yours is not working though!

KarateBrot

Quote from: KarateBrot on August 20, 2012, 09:04:18 AM
for example choose ISO 200 and lower the ML gain to -0.3EV and you will get green ISO 160

and after that you can switch through the iso in steps of 160, 320, ... i think it's pretty handy this way