DNG files playing back faster than real time

Started by kinggtomm, April 04, 2018, 02:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kinggtomm

Hi, I am using Magic Lantern on my Canon 5D mark iii and have been shooting at 24fps @ 1920x1080p

I covert the MLV format using MLVMysic and then import DNG files as a raw sequence into Adobe After Effects CC. Recently a project I have filmed, when imported appears to show the footage much faster than real time. I can slow down the footage it AE yet it begins to skip frames. The footage is showing 24ps in the media browser, the composition is also at 24fps so I have no idea what is going on.

I have previously used Magic Lantern and AE and it's been fine?

Could I have shot it wrong in Magic Lantern in the first place?

Cheers
(Magic Lantern Beginner)

Andy600

Right+click on some imported DNG footage and choose 'interpret footage'. Set the FPS and click ok then right+click on it again and select remember interpretation. Then select your other footage and choose 'apply interpretation'.

You need to manually interpret any footage that has unrecognizable or absent metadata such as most raw and JPEG image sequences.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Kharak

Its actually not the lack of metadata, After Effects imports all Image Sequences on a default 30 FPS. No matter what the Composition is set to.

Go under Edit-Preferences-Import and in the box 'Sequence Footage' you can set your default fps 23,976, 24, 25 etc. This is also the best way to conform slow-motion footage. Simply play it back at the right FPS, no fiddling with %Speed.
once you go raw you never go back

Andy600

Ok, should have said 'container' not metadata  ::).

Agree with the 'Sequence Footage' suggestion. It's set and forget most of the time.

The 'Interpret Footage' function is still used if you have different footage with various frame rates.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com