Smooth and creamy bokeh with Magic Lantern? Crème de la crème à la Edgar!

Started by a1ex, April 01, 2018, 08:45:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

Found this after looking into an issue reported by Walter. Couldn't solve it, but discovered something a little more interesting: how to re-program the bokeh 8)

Say goodbye to busy backgrounds!

Left: with Canon firmware.
Right: with Magic Lantern's new "Crème de la crème à la Edgar" feature.
Camera: 5D Mark III, using the hardware mod from the homepage.
Lens: EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM.

Technique: https://petapixel.com/2018/02/12/get-look-smooth-trans-focus-without-stf-lens/

Download: after Arikhan uploads the NX1 raw hack.

Happy Easter egg hunting!

flostro

nikfreak

[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

Kharak

This is what I have been waiting for, now i can finally shoot with my 5 Blade aperture lenses and get creamy round bokeh balls!!
once you go raw you never go back

ilia3101

bouncyball

I got one lovely lens from ancient microscope with 3 blade aperture and think it will be perfect match for that _perfect_ canon mod. Ancient to Canon adapter attached.

a1ex

Quote from: Kharak on April 01, 2018, 12:50:48 PM
This is what I have been waiting for, now i can finally shoot with my 5 Blade aperture lenses and get creamy round bokeh balls!!

Good point, here's a sample with my (broken) 50/1.8:

Not as controllable, but seems to work, to some extent.

nikfreak

Thanx for making use of apsc lenses possible on 5D3. Truly awesome. ;D

unity2k

axelcine

O, A1ex, this is absolutely too wonderful to be true - maybe it's something, that only occurs on the 1st of a certain month...?
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

jpegmasterjesse

USE WITH EXTREME CAUTION.

I'm such a 5D2 Stan that I tried pairing this with the experimental Dual Iso module, and the experimental 10/12 bit broken 3x crop build and MLV Lite.  Camera initially seemed to be performing at 1DX / Alexa Mini levels but started smoking and I got an error 20.  Currently unusable and has serious fogging on the screen.

Edit:  Damnit.  What's it called when you are tricked into thinking something is a trick?  100% thought everything a1ex posted was fake.

Walter Schulz

The fogging is intentional and the very cause of the creamy effect.
Just avoid using this feature in vicinity of smoke detectors and you're fine.

a1ex

Some different tuning (before/after):

And some attempt to capture something else besides LEDs (sorry for the focus difference; retrying):

Retried, this time captured both photos without touching the camera or the scene; still the same focus difference:

tonij

I don't believe this... You've done it again! Can't wait til this becomes available on the 5d mark 4.
Please post a sample with a foreground!!! (Edit: beat me to it!)

theBilalFakhouri

If this true and I don't think because it's mind blowing and I always thought the bokeh can only change by lenses, you are like Andrew Kramer in After Effects but in Magic Lantern and a1ex version :D

Quentin

Its really a welcome addition.
However, sometimes the sharp halos indicate the optics processing.
Soft halos resemble a Gaussian blur in After FX.
I have to see it in practice to evaluate the difference.

Levas

After reading the article from Twitter, I wonder.
Are your examples single exposure or multi exposure aperture bracketing  ???

If you found out a way to change aperture during one single exposure...than this should be really fun to play with  8)

EDIT
Wait you already gave a big hint:
Maybe it's the leaf shutter effect :)

Single exposure  :o

a1ex

Right, single exposure, 1/50 with 24mm/2.8 and 0.5" with 50mm/1.8. The former can adjust the aperture smoothly, while the latter can only do discrete steps (therefore the larger exposure time). Tuning has to be fine-tuned manually for each shutter speed (at least at this stage).

There was no postprocessing, other than developing the raw files (CR2 or DNG) in ufraw. The creamy bokeh images were actually full-res silent pictures with variable aperture. Unfortunately I couldn't get it to work with regular CR2 files.

The same trick is useful for getting full-res silent pics with normal exposure at hand-holdable shutter speeds, although with a pretty interesting bokeh. It simply closes the aperture to f/22 after some time, simulating a leaf shutter (one that doesn't fully close, so it still leaks some light after the exposure "ends").

Background: with current FRSP implementation, which you all know it gives overexposed images, the exposure starts at the same time on all rows (global shutter when starting the exposure), but ends at different times (gradient, top line is read out first, then subsequent lines are going to capture more light - rolling shutter). With regular pictures, the mechanical shutter determines what exactly is captured from the outside world (that's why you don't see any gradient in a regular CR2), but the sensor is "open" for a longer time. See timing analysis for more details.

Some related fun stuff: http://www.aggregate.org/DIT/ccc20140116.pdf

theBilalFakhouri

nikfreak

a1ex

It was real, but it was tricky getting it working reliably with all my chipped lenses (50/1.8 II, 24mm/2.8 STM, and 18-55 IS II on APS-C), on both DIGIC 4 and 5.

I can share the source if there is any interest in developing this further. For now I can only test with 5D3 and 24mm/2.8 STM, until the lockdown is over.