[HARDWARE PROBLEM] No menus at all - Not quite a brick but!

Started by imagecatcher, August 19, 2012, 11:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imagecatcher

I have ML 2.3 on 600d. Its been working fine. Tried to do some T/lapse but it kept doing interval at half press even though I had interval off and the bulb time was...well more than 3min (I didnt set that either.) At this point I still had menus, I eventually pulled the battery. Now the only thing I get on the lcd is in video mode. No menus (ML or Canon). If I use a usb field monitor I can see the exposure/non LV mode screen but cannot alter anything other than shutter speed, no Ap, Q iso etc.
Since I have No menus at all I cannot format the card in-camera. I have copied & pasted the ML from the mac to the cards but no diff (this is happening regardless of which 16GB C10 card I use). AF doesn't work either
Desperate help required.
Thank you
Troy

Michael Zöller

Lets see... Try deleting the config file. Also, have you tried starting the camera with different modes from M.
neoluxx.de
EOS 5D Mark II | EOS 600D | EF 24-70mm f/2.8 | Tascam DR-40

a1ex

Does it work without card?

If yes, format and start from scratch.

imagecatcher

@alex1 nah card in or out it behaves the same... turn it on a get a brief wiggle of the AF but then no more AF, only info on the screen is in movie mode (has the ML headings and footers) and LV, all other modes no LCD but like I said when I plug in video goggles I can 'see' the other mode screens but can do anything to them ie no buttons affect them. When I turn off I get the dust cleaning screen.
@Michael: I deleted MAGIC.CFG and tried starting in all modes, no diff.

Is there a nice little tucked away pencil reset to factory button :) ?
Is there a bootable file that can do a reset?
Thanks guys

a1ex

There is a "clear settings" command from ML (it even resets the date/time and sets the menus to Japanese). But this didn't solve any problem so far.

You don't get the ML menu in LiveView? Can you cycle through display modes if you press INFO?

imagecatcher

when I turn it on the RED led does a ___ - - - _ series of blinks any help?
also just noticed if I turn AF to M twist the FR and zm then turn AF back on it will refocus but then no more.

a1ex

Sounds strange, do you have a webcam? It may be easier to troubleshoot it that way.

a1ex

I need a volunteer with a good 600D to try this scenario.

A: reproduce the issue
A-1) press and hold the shutter button halfway
A-2) start the camera
A-3) while still holding the shutter halfway pressed, confirm that camera is behaving like OP described (unable to move the focus box in movie mode, black screen in photo mode, and unable to open Canon menu at all)

B: try the fix
B-1) copy this autoexec on the card: http://a1ex.magiclantern.fm/debug/600D-2184/autoexec.bin (600D only)
B-2) press and hold the shutter button halfway
B-3) start the camera
B-4) while still holding the shutter halfway, you should see "0 0" on the screen, be able to move the focus box in liveview (if started in movie mode), and be able to open Canon menu.

Let me know if the fix works on a good 600D.

miyake

QuoteA: reproduce the issue
I tried A on my 600D, but nothing problem happen.
push shutter half way-> power on -> boot up and AF is working immediately
That's all.

MSG added
I just understand it. The normal canon firm is ignore CanonMenu and focus point moving when half shutter pressed.
right?

Then I try your autoexec.bin and I can see "0 0" and I can move focus position and open cannon menu when I pushed half shutter.
But I never see black screen in photo mode.

nanomad

Confirmed on the 1100D (A)
If the shutter is stuck halfway the camera is completely unresponsive
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

a1ex

@miyake-san:

As far as I know, there is a setting on 600D that turns off the screen when you press the shutter halfway.

If this autoexec works for OP, my diagnostic is that half-shutter got stuck somehow (hardware failure).

a1ex

OP confirmed: this autoexec unlocked the buttons and Canon menu, and he was able to clear camera settings. After taking a new picture the camera got locked again. I've compiled a new autoexec that unlocks the half-shutter every second (workaround), and he can take pictures and use the camera almost normally.

When starting without card, the problem returns.

My diagnostic: half-shutter button is stuck (the electrical contact is closed), possibly because of moisture.

I think the fix is cleaning or replacing the half-shutter button at a service center.

ilguercio

Quote from: a1ex on August 23, 2012, 11:34:25 AM
OP confirmed: this autoexec unlocked the buttons and Canon menu, and he was able to clear camera settings. After taking a new picture the camera got locked again. I've compiled a new autoexec that unlocks the half-shutter every second (workaround), and he can take pictures and use the camera almost normally.

When starting without card, the problem returns.

My diagnostic: half-shutter button is stuck (the electrical contact is closed), possibly because of moisture.

I think the fix is cleaning or replacing the half-shutter button at a service center.
Cleaning should do the trick.
I did it on my old 20D, taking the shutter leaf bits from a ruined battery grip.
Worked like a charm.
Taking it to the service center won't cost you less than 80 euros for sure.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

imagecatcher

Im the very grateful guy Alex spent all the time with working around my problem. So happy, what a genius! Thanks mate.

imagecatcher

Hello again Alex1
my problem is kind of back. Everything works ok except when I I have the 600d in BULB.Also If I set ML bulb to anything the shutter stays open and the seconds counter keeps going until I remove the battery. Same if I use a cable release. This makes me think it is software not hardware?? Any help would be great Alex.
(So its not really as bad as it was )
NB: do you know of any videos showing a 600d being dismantled to the shutter button? I saw one for a 400d but its a bit different.
Also: I tried the 'pour(eye dropper) alcohol into the battery compartment to flush the shutter button. I think it did help because I now can focus without taking a shot. but its a hair trigger!
Troy

a1ex

If the shutter button works fine, remove the hack and use normal ML.

imagecatcher

Ok I'll try that in the morning...simply replace the autoexex yes?

nanomad

EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

imagecatcher

Replaced the autoexec hack with the original and no good. I must have the hack for the menus etc to display.
600d works ok until I try Canon Bulb or ML bulb (same result) even a 3sec bulb the display counter keeps going. To stop it I need to : turn it off but then the led stays solid until I pull the battery.
(NB same thing happens if I use a cable release so it isnt the trigger)
So the hole idea of using ML for timelapse is out the window at the moment.

Thanks guys
Troy