genius programmer needed for educational photography project

Started by local nomad, March 29, 2018, 06:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

local nomad

Hello ML geniuses,

I'm an amateur photographer, turned photography teacher who still remembers the pain of figuring out f/ numbers and ISO values.
My own camera-learning-journey (OM10, F80, D40, OM1, 5DMk2ML-borrowed) has led to me to working full time on a learning tool/app for new photographers.
I'm looking for a programming genius to do a few weeks of paid work to bring the idea life.
The ML community is clearly the nexus of photography and programming and that's why I am posting here. I've read the FAQ, the rules, and searched the forums. Please advise if there's somewhere better for me to post.
I'm acutely aware this post treads a fine line for an open source community. My hope is that some paid work for an ML programmer and a donation will both help to support ML.

I love what Magic Lantern does and I hope one of you can help.

Best wishes,
Tim

local nomad

A bit more detail.

The educational photography tool is in the form of a new UI for digital cameras. I'm looking to get a working prototype onto a touch screen mirrorless camera. There are a few potential routes (Sony A7 + Open Memories, Samsung NEX + Android app, Canon M5 + ML fork). ML looks like it might be the most robust platform for a prototype. Specifically the UI is for the preview screen and has an interactive infographic, displaying and controlling some key values (WB, aperture, time, ISO, etc). I've built some mock-ups but now need a working prototype running on a real camera.

please DM me if you'd like to discuss further.

a1ex

Just FYI, M5 runs PowerShot firmware, so CHDK might be a better match for this model. I did some initial analysis of the firmware a while ago, including emulation of the early boot process, but I'm not aware of a working CHDK port for this camera yet.

Mirrorless models running EOS firmware are EOS M and M2. Unsure about M50, but I'd expect it to be PowerShot, too. (later edit: M50, too)

Not familiar with the other platforms, sorry.

local nomad

Hi All,

Not sure if there's a better place to post this but we are hiring a programmer to help us prototype a new user interface for imaging devices (camera, smartphone, microscope). Its a full-time 8-month position working hand-in-hand with our usability testing programme.

We are a funded startup and the position can be remote or local (Oxford, UK).

https://expodo.recruitee.com/o/senior-mobile-developer

I hope you'll apply,
Tim

Ant123

a1ex

Other than what's already written in the linked post, I'm not sure what to explain. Any specific question?

Ant123

Quote from: a1ex on May 07, 2018, 08:07:57 PM
I'm not sure what to explain. Any specific question?

You prepared M50_DUMP.FIR for M50 but today you "expect it to be PowerShot, too"
Why?

Sorry. I forgot to look at the date of your post.

local nomad

Hi a1ex,

Thanks for your comment.
Its been tricky to choose the development route for our prototype. One of the main reasons we are now pursuing the SONY route is that the android app we build can be adapted to run on three different imaging devices: smartphone running android app, Sony camera running android app, and a microscope+SONY camera+tethered tablet running android app.

I suspect you know all this, but for the benefit of the thread, Sony cameras, until models released about 6-months ago, run Android as a sub-system. Its not advertised but its what sits behind their SONY Play Memories System. The bonkers bit is that they only officially allow SONY apps to be downloaded. The OpenMemories on Github is the way to load 3rd party android apps and it is what we are looking at using for our work.
https://github.com/ma1co/OpenMemories-Framework

Our ad is closing today. We've had a lot of interest but not much from people with direct experience of working on a camera. All ML coders warmly invited to apply.
https://expodo.recruitee.com/o/senior-mobile-developer

Cheers,
Tim