Thoughts on the new Atomos Ninja V and prores raw

Started by Joek, April 10, 2018, 09:44:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joek

What do you guys think about the new Atomos Ninja V? I think it could have some potential with the 5d iii, potentially allowing it to record to prores raw. Apprently atomos has come up with a way to send raw data through hdmi, what if there were some way to do that with magic lantern on the 5d iii? You would literally have raw 1080p at 37MB/s. It'd be a huge data saver! I guess the real question is is it even possible to manipulate the HDMI output like that without having to flash the firmware or make hardware changes?

extremelypoorfilmaker

ProRes raw =/= raw

It's a gimmick. It's typical apple bullshit

Lars Steenhoff

Still having pro res raw over hdmi would be cool.   Don't see it happening on the canon magic lantern because the protocols are not public

dfort

Quote from: extremelypoorfilmaker on April 11, 2018, 08:58:41 AM
It's a gimmick. It's typical apple bullshit

QuoteThe four stages of acceptance:
1. This is worthless nonsense.
2. This is an interesting, but perverse, point of view.
3. This is true, but quite unimportant.
4. I always said so.

― J.B.S. Haldane

Would you like your editing platform to work with MLV files natively? ProRes RAW is basically that--a raw format that can be used directly in Final Cut Pro.

Looked into the Atomos Ninja V and it doesn't support ProRes RAW yet mostly because there is no camera that can output a raw signal out of an HDMI port. Only a select few professional cameras can do RAW out over SDI.

Joek

Another thing to keep in mind, Prores Raw LT is only about 97MB/s in 4k meaning that if the 5d iii could somehow record to it then theoretically it should (barely) be able to record 4k raw continuously. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the 5d doesn't have the processing power for it though.

reddeercity

no 5d3 can do up to 120MB/s on 1.1.3 from some of the posted benchmarks plus with lossless 14bit up to .50 compression
4096x1320 23.976=108MB/s so it's possible .
Yea the prores raw would great , I'm a fcpx power user -- so next I'll be updating my MacPro to High Sierra and see if prores raw can be hacked
to encode . I've been waiting for raw workflow in fcpx for a long time with out any 3rd party apps.

Joek

Quote from: reddeercity on April 12, 2018, 06:07:02 AM
no 5d3 can do up to 120MB/s on 1.1.3 from some of the posted benchmarks plus with lossless 14bit up to .50 compression
4096x1320 23.976=108MB/s so it's possible .
Yea the prores raw would great , I'm a fcpx power user -- so next I'll be updating my MacPro to High Sierra and see if prores raw can be hacked
to encode . I've been waiting for raw workflow in fcpx for a long time with out any 3rd party apps.

It's funny because I can record prores raw on my fs700/Inferno, but because I'm on windows I have no way of using the footage yet. Would it be beneficial for me to provide prores raw files? If nothing else to get the ball rolling

reddeercity

Yes please , I work cross platform (Win/Mac) just updated my MAC ,  I can dig in the file .
you can pm me or just post a link here .