Short film: Uppdragets öde (Destiny of the mission) eng subs

Started by ibrahim, March 13, 2018, 12:48:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibrahim

Hi folks!

Here is a short film, which is in Swedish with English subtitles. It shows how vunerable it becomes for a youth to be dragged into the crime world if falls into some social problems and at the same time is surrounded by bad friends.

https://vimeo.com/258837680

Let me know what you guys think about the color grading, DP work, etc, especially taking into account that it is my first short film and first davinci work, apart from a visual effect (done in AE). :D
The work took me two months with 1-3 people behind the scene.

I think I'll be leaving the AE world however some claim that AE leads to better picture quality than davinci, is that true?
Canon 5D Mark IIIs | Ronin-M | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 planar | Zeiss 35mm 1.4 distagon  | Zeiss 24mm f2 distagon | Zeiss 85mm f1.4 planar
Dual sound system: Tascam DR-60d MKII | Audio Technica AT899 | Sennheiser MKE 600

hyalinejim

Hi Ibrahim, and congratulations on your first short!

In terms of grading, generally it looks good. However, I think that your blacks are lifted too much. I know that this look has been popular over the last ten years or so, but I think it makes your film look too washed out.

However, this might be a problem with your export settings, as the RGB values for the letterboxed area (which should be 0, 0, 0) is actually 16, 16, 16.

I think I see some sharpening with a wide radius or perhaps it's a local contrast adjustment... I would be inclined to not do that. It's particularly crunchy looking at around 4:15

There is also some colour banding on skin (for example at around 5:55). Maybe you are using a LUT that is causing this.

Finally, I think there is a frame rate problem somewhere in your workflow as some clips are a bit jerky.

Aside from these grading considerations, the camerawork is good and so is the editing.

ibrahim

Quote from: hyalinejim on March 13, 2018, 10:35:03 PM
Hi Ibrahim, and congratulations on your first short!

In terms of grading, generally it looks good. However, I think that your blacks are lifted too much. I know that this look has been popular over the last ten years or so, but I think it makes your film look too washed out.

However, this might be a problem with your export settings, as the RGB values for the letterboxed area (which should be 0, 0, 0) is actually 16, 16, 16.

Thanks man I appreciate your feedback.

Well I have had a few difficulties maybe that has caused what you mention, however sorry for asking I don't understand what you mean by 16, 16 , 16.

My render setting was tiff 16bps RGB since davinci crashed when I tried to export directly to DNxHD 444.

I worked between 64 and 960 IRE since I learned that that is the range of rec 709. Is that why the blacks look that washed out?

Quote from: hyalinejim on March 13, 2018, 10:35:03 PM

I think I see some sharpening with a wide radius or perhaps it's a local contrast adjustment... I would be inclined to not do that. It's particularly crunchy looking at around 4:15

There is also some colour banding on skin (for example at around 5:55). Maybe you are using a LUT that is causing this.

Finally, I think there is a frame rate problem somewhere in your workflow as some clips are a bit jerky.

Aside from these grading considerations, the camerawork is good and so is the editing.

True, I should remove the sharpening effect, especially its radius.

The issue with frame rate belonged to the drone scenes. How do I use drone footage in 30fps? My drone cannot film in 24fps.

Canon 5D Mark IIIs | Ronin-M | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 planar | Zeiss 35mm 1.4 distagon  | Zeiss 24mm f2 distagon | Zeiss 85mm f1.4 planar
Dual sound system: Tascam DR-60d MKII | Audio Technica AT899 | Sennheiser MKE 600

Danne

Use after effects or twixtor or even minterpolate(FFmpeg) to convert 30 to 24 fps.
Are you on a mac? Upload a sample of your drone footage and I could try the ffmpeg solution.

ibrahim

Thanks Danne!
I already have twixtor on my PC, it is a great plugin.