Komputerbay 1066x cards with USB 2 readers

Started by ilia3101, November 03, 2017, 12:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilia3101

My usb3 udma7 reader broke yesterday and I kinda need to clear my cards to likely use tommorow, but I only have a non udma7, usb2 reader.

I've heard a couple of horror stories about komputerbay cards being destroyed by old readers, but those stories were a while ago and about older 1000x cards.
So does anyone have experience with using a usb2 reader with komputerbay's newer 1066x cards? Specifically 128gb in my case.

Should I test it out?

Or is it too risky?

If anyone knows about this I would be really grateful!

Walter Schulz

My 128 GB 1066x came with a warning sticker about *only use in UDMA7 compatible cardreaders* or physical damage will occur.
So: If your cardreader supports UDMA-7 (just UDMA or UDMA-6 will not qualify) you are fine. If not: Your call. UDMA-7 mode use lower voltage and KB cards can get fried by higher voltages in non-UDMA7 mode.
Some older cardreaders may require firmware upgrade (if any) to become UDMA 7 compatible. If used with outdated firmware -> card in danger again.

And your problem exactly is? Why not take half a minute for each card and format them on the spot tomorrow?
If semi-bricking cams (or incompatible ML versions) is your trouble: Format them in your cam now with "Remove ML" option active.

Kharak

You could transfer to SD card in cam and offload SD card, its slow but the safer option.

Or if possible, via usb from cam to computer? I am not sure if you can see the MLV's via usb.
once you go raw you never go back

ilia3101

Thanks people.

QuoteYou could transfer to SD card in cam and offload SD card, its slow but the safer option.
Sadly 5D2 only has a CF slot.
QuoteOr if possible, via usb from cam to computer? I am not sure if you can see the MLV's via usb.
Tried before, only lets you transfer photos.

QuoteMy 128 GB 1066x came with a warning sticker about *only use in UDMA7 compatible cardreaders* or physical damage will occur.
Hmmm, actually I think mine also had a warning that I didn't read/remember.
QuoteUDMA-7 mode use lower voltage and KB cards can get fried by higher voltages in non-UDMA7 mode.
That's scary :(
QuoteIf semi-bricking cams (or incompatible ML versions) is your trouble: Format them in your cam now with "Remove ML" option active.
My trouble is that I have some footage on there that I need to transfer still, so formatting in cam isn't an option.

Anyway, I tried putting it in a minnute ago, waited a few seconds... EOS_DIGITAL drive appeared. All is fine, works afterwards too.
So I can confirm that either some non-UDMA7 readers (mine) work with komputerbay cards, or the 1066x komputerbays have enough voltage protection.