My Canon 60D has a broken firmware, any advice how to force SD firmware upgrade

Started by myousri, March 05, 2018, 07:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myousri

Yesterday, I was trying to add Magic Lantern to two SD card for my Canon 60D, but I ended up with broken firmware on the Camera :(

Camera doesn't show any sense of active with no SD and sometime give different errors like ERR-70 , ERR-85 .....
With SD with Magic Lantern, it could should some fixed tags on the small LCD, but nothing work

Is there a way to force upgrade from SD  using  autoexec.bin with the firmware file on the SD? or does anyone faced a similar problem  and could point me for a repairshop that could help!?

a1ex

What exactly happened? Did you have ML installed before, and you wanted to prepare some more cards, or was it a fresh install? What steps did you perform before getting the errors?

http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#beprecise

When running ML, ERR70 is usually accompanied by a crash log.

ERR85 - never encountered this one.

Have you followed the Troubleshooting section from https://builds.magiclantern.fm/60D-111.html ? Results?

myousri

Here is how  i make the camera break, as I admit, i didn't read all the manual carefully:
- I had Magic Lantern installed on one 16GB SD card, it was totally fine.
- I decided to install to another SD.
- I format the 2nd SD on Ubuntu.
- Copied the ML + autoexec.bin + *.FIR from working Magic Lantern SD to the new one.
- I put the 2nd SD to the camera >> no magic lantern active.
- so I when to upgrade menu and hit upgrade. it took very long on the screen upgrading off didn't halt, so I take of the battery. and here is how it break.
- later i did a series of changing both SD for the sack of fixing it, but no use.

Now:
- some time it, no response at all without SD, some with ERR-70
- when I used Eoscard to create new SD, once insert the battery, the red LED keep flash.

not sure, if the following are the correct logs:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mu91kct7fi84wjl/AADReP2G4yE8Y6IdeHJ8kRuta?dl=0

a1ex

Quote from: myousri on March 06, 2018, 01:07:37 AM
it took very long on the screen upgrading off didn't halt, so I take of the battery. and here is how it break.

Sorry, it's not clear on which screen it took very long.

No crash logs on the root of the SD card? The ones you uploaded are the ROM dumps; please remove them.

What happens if you run the portable display test a few times? (also interested in repeatability of the results)

Walter Schulz

Lot of information missing. EOScard doesn't work with Ubuntu. Educated guess: Windows PC involved. ;-)
Second card: Which storage capacity?

Second guess: Red LED blinking because of EOScard ML version not working with current firmware.
Which firmware version is running and which ML version have you used before "breaking"? "Stable" v2.3 (as installed by EOScard) or a nightly build?

- Does cam work without card?
  Remove card, remove battery. Insert battery, close compartment doors. Cam working or not?

Always remove battery before testing anything. Cam may be stalled by software and it won't react until "hard" power off. Power switch does not turn off the cam ...

myousri

Quote from: a1ex on March 06, 2018, 05:12:50 PM
Sorry, it's not clear on which screen it took very long.
I meant the main color LCD, it showed upgrading for long time, but didn't show up the upgrading bar, as I did it before, it was really fast less than a minute.

No crash logs on the root of the SD card? The ones you uploaded are the ROM dumps; please remove them.
I managed to format the 16G SD today and ML stable version via EOScard (Windows for sure ;) )
and it create very small crash log everytime i hit different button on the camera + log on the rootDir uploaded to same dropbox
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mu91kct7fi84wjl/AADReP2G4yE8Y6IdeHJ8kRuta?dl=0
what i noticed to there are some sort or thing working, as Directories (DCIM - MISC) got created by the camera, when I make it on.

What happens if you run the portable display test a few times? (also interested in repeatability of the results)
managed to  add the autoexec and it works, attached the photo in the same dropbox folder

Quote from: Walter Schulz on March 06, 2018, 06:13:16 PM
Lot of information missing. EOScard doesn't work with Ubuntu. Educated guess: Windows PC involved. ;-)
Second card: Which storage capacity?
Yes, sure I used windows, as it was easier with EOScard, but I normally use Ubuntu ;)
both card are 16G, but Not identical one is Ultra and other extreme

Second guess: Red LED blinking because of EOScard ML version not working with current firmware.
Which firmware version is running and which ML version have you used before "breaking"? "Stable" v2.3 (as installed by EOScard) or a nightly build?
The one I used, was the "magiclantern-Nightly.2018Feb04.60D111" by the time I have the problem

- Does cam work without card?
  Remove card, remove battery. Insert battery, close compartment doors. Cam working or not?
Not, it now show ERR-70 :(

Always remove battery before testing anything. Cam may be stalled by software and it won't react until "hard" power off. Power switch does not turn off the cam ...
I knew that very late :( :)

myousri

Hey,
I keep trying with the camera till I figure out that I could make it work only through C mode, it doesn't work always on that mode. The way i do, I go to night shot mode, then switch off camera, then I go to C mode, then eerything work in C mode, but once I change the mode, err-70 show up again.
Is that mean that the issue with Camera not ML? could be that failure just coincident when I install ML!?
unfortunately can't clear setting on C mode :(

Do you recommend trying ML on C mode, or trying upgrading to 1.1.1 again to C mode with that status!?

Thanks

a1ex

Quote from: myousri on March 06, 2018, 01:07:37 AM
- so I when to upgrade menu and hit upgrade. it took very long on the screen upgrading off didn't halt

Quote from: myousri on March 06, 2018, 08:24:18 PM
I meant the main color LCD, it showed upgrading for long time, but didn't show up the upgrading bar, as I did it before, it was really fast

Sorry, "took very long" and "really fast" have opposite meanings...

Also, there's no screen that shows "upgrading" when installing ML. There is a message that reads "Updating now" while upgrading Canon firmware (but this doesn't appear while installing ML). Please report what actually happened; don't make up the messages from the screen.

QuoteDo you recommend trying ML on C mode, or trying upgrading to 1.1.1 again to C mode with that status!?

Yes, no. You can't choose otherwise for #2.

QuoteASSERT: FALSE at DevelopCombination.c:108, task RscMgr

I've recovered a lot of 60D's with this error, but none of them was linked to ML (re)installation. Please report what you did and what exactly happened, as it's not clear for me.

Will send the fix by PM, as it's something that should be tried after diagnosing the issue (not before).

myousri

I guess that the error is more likely a hardware one, as all function work when it just work on C mode. so will send it to repair, as err-70 doesn't look like something to be fix via software.

a1ex

It *is* fixable, you just have to answer my questions...

ERR70 is something we understand quite well, btw. Other error codes, not so much.

Quote from: a1ex on March 08, 2018, 10:10:51 AM
I've recovered a lot of 60D's with this error [...]