China Town - Thailand : Copying the Alexa LF Promotional Video

Started by wangtrirat, March 07, 2018, 05:17:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wangtrirat

China Town - Thailand : 5D Mark lll RAW
Record at 1920x1080 3x3 45p Binning

The 5D's Sensor is about the size of Alexa LF which categorized as Large Format. But somehow they are really really close.

This test exploit extensively on How camera raw handled intense large dynamic range and saturation in scene. I wish I could under exposed a bit ( it's too hot in some scene). The neons and Saturate LEDs is falling apart in color but resolve handle roll-off really well.

Graded on Davinci Resolve Studio 14 with ACEScct CMS

I add some denoiser because I shot mostly at 1250-3200.

Music : Courtesy of ARRI Alexa LF Promotional Video

The Log to Grade Swipe

DP, Colorist, Technician
Canon 5D Mark III
Sony A7s, Sony FS7

allemyr

Great work! Really nice to see!

So many things that is awesome about the video, I really like your style of grading!

What lenses do you use?

Thanks for sharing!

wangtrirat

Quote from: allemyr on March 07, 2018, 07:51:54 AM
Great work! Really nice to see!

So many things that is awesome about the video, I really like your style of grading!

What lenses do you use?

Thanks for sharing!

Just tokina 16-28 f2.8 and canon 24-105 f4 lenses.

I copied the style from Arri LF video. I just tried to replicate it. It's not entirely my style.  :P
DP, Colorist, Technician
Canon 5D Mark III
Sony A7s, Sony FS7

allemyr

Nice! Hehe, "style" was maybe the wrong word :) But I really enjoied how its looking.

I follow Juan Melara since many years, and take my grading style from there. http://juanmelara.com.au/blog/ But I can always improve my color work.

Anyway, do you use the noise reduction in the Studio version of Resolve? What's ACEScct CMS? I know ACES is a color space? Can you tell a bit how you use it, if you don't mind.

I use this workflow with colorspaces in Resolve, http://juanmelara.com.au/blog/a-better-way-to-grade-ursa-mini-cinemadngs it works good, but I don't know how I will match other cameras, but from a single 5D3 camera in a video it looks fine.

IDA_ML

Excellent job, Wangtrirat!  Thanks for sharing.  I liked both - the filming and the grading very much.  Obviously, 45 fps is the perfect choice for making such a busy street life look calm and relaxed.  My only advice is to use the noise reduction a little bit less aggressively.  Right now, the video looks a little plasticly, especially the skin tones.

wangtrirat

Quote from: IDA_ML on March 07, 2018, 10:41:48 AM
Excellent job, Wangtrirat!  Thanks for sharing.  I liked both - the filming and the grading very much.  Obviously, 45 fps is the perfect choice for making such a busy street life look calm and relaxed.  My only advice is to use the noise reduction a little bit less aggressively.  Right now, the video looks a little plasticly, especially the skin tones.

Thanks, I admitted that it was harshly denoised. On my Reference display it wasn't require that much denoise, but for lower gamma display especially lifted black one see huge amount of noise. So I decided to push further.

DP, Colorist, Technician
Canon 5D Mark III
Sony A7s, Sony FS7

wangtrirat

Quote from: allemyr on March 07, 2018, 09:12:43 AM
Nice! Hehe, "style" was maybe the wrong word :) But I really enjoied how its looking.

I follow Juan Melara since many years, and take my grading style from there. http://juanmelara.com.au/blog/ But I can always improve my color work.

Anyway, do you use the noise reduction in the Studio version of Resolve? What's ACEScct CMS? I know ACES is a color space? Can you tell a bit how you use it, if you don't mind.

I use this workflow with colorspaces in Resolve, http://juanmelara.com.au/blog/a-better-way-to-grade-ursa-mini-cinemadngs it works good, but I don't know how I will match other cameras, but from a single 5D3 camera in a video it looks fine.

ACEScc Grading technique differ from YRGB one. It control and output reference luminance of the real scene mapped to output gamma and color space.

I used this because it required less work to do with color saturation and luminance. Focused primary just look at you see on reference monitor. It mapped white to white (soft clip like film) and soft black rolled-off to real black.

It feel different when grading. As it can't be totally control like YRGB one. But in the end it look better in my opinion, Especially when matching many camera together.
DP, Colorist, Technician
Canon 5D Mark III
Sony A7s, Sony FS7