Thread photos dual iso

Started by Danne, July 30, 2013, 09:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Excaliburst

I have just found the Dual ISO setting in ML and am stunned and exhilerated to try and get the best out of my photos with this. Hence I just went down the harbour to shoot some pictures.

However they are way over-exposed coming from LightRoom 5.3 in the Dual-ISO Magic Lantern conversion plugin out to DNG photos. What might be wrong with them. Why is the exposure that I have dialled in in LR disregarded in the conversion proces?   :o
IMG_3041-dualiso by Morten Enevoldsen, on Flickr

If I choose one of my normal export presets, it gets correctly exposed, but with the interlacing horisontal lines...
IMG_3041 by Morten Enevoldsen, on Flickr

I would love to hear any constructive thoughts on this issue.. Thanks

Morten

Walter Schulz

I suggest to move your issue to the Dual-ISO thread.
Share an unprocessed Dual-ISO file somewhere downloadable without registration needed.

ibrahim

Very nice dynamic range and almost no shadows. Which lens did you use on your 5d3 in your first post Danne?
Canon 5D Mark IIIs | Ronin-M | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 planar | Zeiss 35mm 1.4 distagon  | Zeiss 24mm f2 distagon | Zeiss 85mm f1.4 planar
Dual sound system: Tascam DR-60d MKII | Audio Technica AT899 | Sennheiser MKE 600

guru_rb

How to insert full sized images? I am only getting thumbnails :-(

bb code image

kiron123

Hi! How can I attach my pictures from my computer? I cannot see an attachment button here.

R

When trying to compensate interior with exterior exposure I mostly use flash + Dual ISO. You can check the results here http://www.ramonclemente.com/portfolio/

I usually try to bounce flashes on walls, ceilings or any other neutral surface I can find in the room. This particular room had two walls of red bricks, red bricks also in the ceiling, light brown tiles on the floor and very dark mahogany furniture (behind me) so bouncing the flashes would have cast red tints to the scene. The room had three 20W incandescent light bulbs.

This time I had no umbrellas or diffusers with me and the only way of getting a kind of natural look was using the few light coming from a dimly lit courtyard so I took a couple of Dual ISO long exposures. I also did bracketing as a back-up because I have to admit that I had not done long exposure using Dual ISO before. When photographing interiors my shutter times are usually from 1/4 to 1/160, this time I took one at 4" and another at 8".

I like the result. The only issue I find is that dead, hot and stuck pixels are more noticeable; they even seem bigger.

MG 5424 dualiso" border="0

MG 5426 dualiso" border="0

russellsnr

Quote from: kiron123 on August 10, 2017, 05:43:18 AM
Hi! How can I attach my pictures from my computer? I cannot see an attachment button here.

bpv5P

Awesome.

Quote from: R on August 13, 2017, 06:13:58 PM
The only issue I find is that dead, hot and stuck pixels are more noticeable; they even seem bigger.

That's probably because of interpolation, but dual-iso conversors already have a algorithm for dead pixel removal...

In your user case, wouldn't be better to work with HDR, instead of dual iso?
I've already tried both (using HDRMerge for processing) and HDR gives me better results (of course).
Dual Iso is very useful for high speed photography and MLV video, but if you have a tripod and time, HDR gives much better results.

R

Quote from: bpv5P on August 16, 2017, 03:07:02 PM
Awesome.

In your user case, wouldn't be better to work with HDR, instead of dual iso?
I've already tried both (using HDRMerge for processing) and HDR gives me better results (of course).
Dual Iso is very useful for high speed photography and MLV video, but if you have a tripod and time, HDR gives much better results.

I do not only use Dual ISO because of its DR expansion but also because it helps me optimizing my workflow in most of my sessions. HDR means usually 3 bracketed shots + exporting those images to an HDR software + importing the tone mapped image to LR again... and that means extra time added to the session and therefore high prices for my clients. Of course that in high level shootings I bracket the scene and work with layers in PS but for mid-level ones DISO is the best option in my opinion to 1) get good results, 2) good prices and 3) be able to shoot many properties during high season. Anyway, as I wrote, I also took some bracketed shots just in case and these photos were a kind of experiment to see what the results would be using DISO in a very dark bedroom.

dfort

I didn't make any plans to shoot the solar eclipse on Monday and the morning started out with heavy overcast skies in Los Angeles. When it started happening I grabbed the 700D, put on a 135mm Rokinon with a Nikon 2x teleconverter and added a 2.1 ND filter. Just for fun I shot some dual iso and was able to pull some details in the the thin cloud layer covering the sun.

kyrobb

I'm glad you also got photo evidence that it was a real photo because that is just unreal. Incredible shot man!

bpv5P

rpt

Wow! What were your settings? I am hoping to go shoot the annular eclipse in south India in 2019 so beginning my study now :)

dfort

The settings I used were to set the shutter speed to 1/4000 sec. -- as fast as possible. I also had all of my ND filters ready and went from stacking a 1.2 and 0.9 (7-stops) to no filter, depending on the the cloud cover. The dual iso setting was 100/1600. I also had the intervalometer running so it was taking a shot every 10 seconds. I kept my hand on the F-stop ring and adjusted so that I could see something in the LiveView display. Not very scientific or well thought out but something I learned when I was making a living in photography is that the only thing that matters is getting the shot so bracket the hell out of it!

This is a shot without dual iso. The sun is pretty much burned out and this is as far as I could stretch the image.

If I were to do this again I'd seriously consider getting a 3.0 (10 stopper) ND filter or maybe even a 5.0 Solar Eclipse (16.5 stop) filter. Stacking filters and shooting straight into the sun is an invitation for some weird flare patterns.

This is what that dual iso shot on post 1761 looks like before processing.

Not very impressive, is it? That dreaded costal marine layer really helped the shot and so did dual iso!

rpt

Cool! Thanks. So I will start scouting for ND filters now.

Yes, that marine layer of clouds in LA is something!

Danne

Beautiful images dfort and others.

DeafEyeJedi

Insanely amazing work by @dfort and if you don't mind me asking what was the actual ISO for the non Dual ISO shot -- was it 100 or 1600?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

dfort

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on August 24, 2017, 08:50:20 PM
what was the actual ISO for the non Dual ISO shot -- was it 100 or 1600?

100 -- You wouldn't use a fast ISO then add ND filters to counteract it would you? With dual iso I was able to knock it down enough so the sun was just clipping at iso 100 then dig out some details in the clouds with the 1600 iso. Without dual iso it was either severely clipped sun with clouds or detail in the sun with a black sky. I suppose shooting separate exposures would have worked but the clouds would probably move between exposures. I was right next to the ocean and these clouds were flying by low and fast.

DeafEyeJedi

Some Dual-ISO fun stuff coming from a SL1/100D shot in 100/1600 during the Women's March out in downtown Los Angeles over the weekend.

Operated entirely in AV mode (set it to +3/4 of a stop OE which is approximately 3 clicks to the right) since this seems to have served me well when it comes to shooting in Dual-ISO while there are constant changes in exposures and whatnot while marching along on the streets.

No time to hesitate. Just frame your shot accordingly and the rest is history!

<-- Can't believe this was shot in F1.4 and @Danne was right all along in regards to Sigma's Art series.
Should have listened sooner. [emoji14]

Here's a 5-shot Pano handheld @ F8 all across...

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

mothaibaphoto

Wow, you are so good at reportage, DeafEyeJedi :)
It's so funny and naive for the rest of the world... "Who runs the world girls" - Phhhh.... :)
Thank you, I'd like to be there :)