Author Topic: Best camera to choose (even for RAW)  (Read 2318 times)

nice97

• New to the forum
Best camera to choose (even for RAW)
« on: February 16, 2018, 03:51:53 PM »
Hi I'm new here so hi everyone!  :D
I should get a new camera and I don't know what to get.
The main use is video shooting especially raw, and also to take good pictures.

I don't know what to choose between those:

- the 5d mark iii (for full frame, good pictures, raw video. Even tho is a bit old)
- the 6d (for full frame, good pictures, raw video in 10 bit)
- the 6d mark ii (for autofocus, good pictures, full frame and digic 7. I hope that ml will unlock this so maybe it could be a beast in fullframe raw video)

I also saw the 7d for raw video but I think is very very old.

So in the end, should i get the 6d mk2 and wait to ml to unlock it or get an "old" camera like 6d/5diii? Or maybe another one.

Please help me!
Thank you  :)

Walter Schulz

• Contributor
Re: Best camera to choose (even for RAW)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 07:39:14 AM »
By considering 6D2 you contradicted your indended main use "especially raw".

Make up your mind about what you want and what you need.
Photogs and videographers: Assist in proof reading upcoming in-camera help!. Your input is wanted and needed!

andy kh

• Senior
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 08:20:23 AM »
since your main use is video shooting in raw, u must buy 5D mark III. you can even shoot slowmotion @diffrent fps like 45/50/60 without color moire which any other camra can't. most other cameras has lots of color moire  while shotin in raw especially when you set the camera in 720P including 6D so not good for shootin raw. and 6D mark II may get or may never get ML

dfort

• Developer
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 08:45:42 AM »
You listed all full frame cameras but left out the 5D4.

If you want Magic Lantern and shooting raw video is more important to you than having a Digic 6 or 7 processor in the body then the 5D3 is by far the better choice. Though if money is no object get an Arri.
5D3.* 7D.206 700D.115 EOSM.203 EOSM2.103 M50.102

allemyr

• http://www.allemyr.com/
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 09:40:47 AM »
Yes agree Arri Alexa Mini is a great choice :)

The best raw video quality the 5D3 has.

But in my opinion if you have hard reading and deciding this between cameras, you will have a hard time with the workflow and creating videos yourself.

I still use raw video with a Canon ML camera since 4 years, haha, that's so long. What i mean is that it has happen very much in the industri, Panasonic GH5 is a easier way to go, not 14 bit raw, but 10 bit and other features.

But yes deciding camera is soo easy these days. There is still no perfect camera among all companies that's for shure.

5D3 has by far the best image quality, if you are going to save 800mbit/s to a memory card you dan't want to waste it with a 6D or something, that was what I felt when I first bought a 5D2 4,5 half years ago.

Levas

• Contributor
  • 6d - Nightly build user
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 10:24:43 AM »

The main use is video shooting especially raw, and also to take good pictures.

Definitely the 5d3, the camera with the best and most raw video options.

IDA_ML

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 11:43:56 AM »
If budget is tight, you have Canon lenses and you wish to get a feeling for shooting RAW video, get yourself a 100D.  After the latest ML developments and implementations for this model, it has become a fantastic RAW-video camera, especially if mobility is important to you.  The sensor is also very good and provides excellent results in the photo mode.  And later, when you buy the 5D3, the 100D will still be your second/backup camera. 

I wouldn't hesitate to reccomend the 7D, despite the fact that it is fairly old.  Write speed, battery life, video quality and ML functionality are superb which makes it the second best choice after the 5D3 for serious work.  Unfortunately, it is not quite ready yet and it will probably take a while before 4K_crop_recording is implemented.  We all keep our thumbs pressed that Dfort and the other developers succeed with that!