Do I need to do a 16 bit conversion?

Started by blaku92, July 11, 2018, 03:27:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blaku92

Hey folks.  I'm a professional Editor and new to Magic Lantern.  I have an older (maxed out, but still slow) HP Z600 workstation at home to test out and grade my 11-10 bit 3.5k RAW footage from my newly bought 5D Mark III.  Super excited about it all.  I've been reading a TON on this forum, but would like to know if it's necessary to do the conversion to 16 bit CDNG files before bringing into Resolve or After Effects.  My preference is to use Resolve.  Currently I'm using Resolve 12 because it's the last version that will utilize my Quadro 4000 GPU.  I haven't tried the ACR-->AE method yet.  Resolve 12 seems to load and playback the untouched 11-10 bit DNG image sequences just fine, but I've read on this forum that Resolve doesn't handle DNGs properly unless they are 12 or 16 bit.  Is this true and how so?  Should I be adding the step of converting to 16 bit first for Resolve to accurately read and make color adjustments?  Black Magic says it only supports 12bit or 16 bit CDNGs, so what is going on under the hood really?  Also, is it true that the ACR-->AE method requires a 16 bit conversion or it won't work? 

That's a lot of questions.. sorry.  I'm happy to read more if someone might be able to point me in the right direction. Thank you!