Compressed 12 / 10 bit RAW on 5D MK III build?

Started by ragunaath, February 22, 2018, 01:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ragunaath

Hi, I went through the post and discussions related to RAW recording, we are going to shoot a short film on 5D MK III, it's my friend's camera and he has 95 Mbps Sandisk SD card.

I tried the RAW calculator, we intend to shoot 1920 x 818 as a 2.35:1 aspect ratio. The calculator shows 62.8 MB/s for 14bit uncompressed RAW.

Also when I choose, 12 bit or 10 bit, it shows 53.9 MB/s and 44.9 MB/s respectively.

1. Is Sandisk 90 Mbps Extreme Pro SD card or 120 Mbps CF card, enough to shoot in Uncompressed RAW?

2. If I can go for compressed 12bit or 10bit, is Sandisk 90 Mbps Extreme Pro SD card, enough?

Also, It would be helpful, If you could share the link to 10bit / 12bit compressed RAW build (relatively stable) for 5D MK III, I'm little confused on which one to download.

Thankyou

Walter Schulz

- SD-card interface limit in 5D3 (write mode) is about 21 MByte/s.
- Don't even think about using an SD-to-CF-card adapter. Most are crap.
- Quite reliable source for flash memory reviews: http://cameramemoryspeed.com
  Exception: Their in-cam benchmarks ... grain of salt needed.

allemyr

Yes CF card is the way to go. Also check the write speed of the card, its often the read speed thats are advertised. To give a example, I have a Sandisk USB3 memory that has a read speed of 250mb/s but only a write speed at 50mb/s. I use a Lexar 256gb 1066x CF card since many years. Check out though for counterfeited products, I for example bought a counterfeit Lexar 128gb 1066x CF card once, it didn't perform good after a while.