Lunar Eclipse

Started by dfort, February 09, 2018, 06:26:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfort

We've been having discussion about various timelapse workflows on the 100D topic so I thought I'd share this timelapse I did a few days ago during the lunar eclipse on January 31, A.K.A. Super Blue Blood Moon.

Shot on a 700D in Movie Crop Mode at 2fps with a 135mm Rokinon lens and a Nikon 2x tele extender. Yeah, it was all hacked together.

It looks like a still with a motion effect but it was a timelapse, really! I could actually see it move through the frame as I was setting up the shot.

A while later it started getting light. What looks like a 3/4 moon is actually the full moon with the earth's shadow. Nothing fancy on this one, just a still CR2 with the 135mm, no tele extender.

DeafEyeJedi

That moon setting is indeed quite fancy and definitely killer work on the Super Blue Blood Moon. Was the resolution @ 1792x1032p while in Movie Crop mode?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

IDA_ML

Great work, Dfort !  The moon picture with the beautiful sky and clouds in the background is quite nice.  For the time lapse I would use the 5x-magnification mode at 2520x1080 resolution.  This would have provided a much sharper image of the moon.   Give it a try and you will see the improvement.

dfort

Actually it was shot at 1280x720--learned that trick from an astrophotographer. Shooting at a higher resolution would have resulted in a smaller moon in the frame. I was thinking about doing some image stacking to improve the resolution. By the way, I did a speed up in post so there are more frames to work with. Nothing was planned. I saw the event out of my window and shot this in my pajamas while I was still half asleep.

dfort

@IDA_ML - I was thinking about the recommendation of using the largest image size possible, here are some articles you might find enlightening.

Can we get similar results shooting a smaller frame size but at a higher frame rate?

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15306.0

How about stacking a bunch of low resolution images to create a superresolution image?

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15621.0

At one point I tried my best to help out someone who's main interest was astrophotography. He was using a 60D in mv640crop mode. I believe that is the only camera that can do this. You need to set the Canon menu to 640x480 resolution!

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16912.0

Some of this seems counter intuitive but you can actually get some high quality results by shooting lots of images at a lower resolution. One of the articles I read was to shoot hand held because there needs to be slight variations between the stacked images for it work properly. Go figure, huh?

In any case, wish I could get results like this.

This was done with a stack of 240 zoom mode video frames on a 5D2.

Tullen

Any recommendations for capturing the super blood moon tomorrow morning?

I have a eos m, a 220mm F4.0 and a 135mm F2.8. 

Would love some recommendations for what lens to use and what crop mode to use. How to set proper exposure. Dual iso? Anything would help. Dont have that much experience with Magic Lantern yet, and almost none with shooting the moon. Unfortunately I only have one battery at the moment so that will be a problem to. Guess it will be around -10 outside.