[Canon menu] ISO limit for ETTR

Started by garry23, February 03, 2018, 08:48:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garry23

For me, as a photographer and not a videographer, auto ETTR is one of the great ML features.

Recognizing many things, such as DR and total noise (eg shot and read) it seems to follow the best logic, ie try and capture the most photons, based on the aperture and shutter limits you define, and only then start increasing ISO.

But as we know, although read noise may fall with increasing ISO, there is a bigger picture, ie higher ISOs mean less DR and Canon sensors/electronics are not ISOless over the ful ISO range like some other manufacturers' cameras.

Thus, for most Canon cameras, it is only after you start getting above around ISO 1600 that you move into the ISO invariant part of the camera, where we need to change exposure strategy, eg there is no point further reducing DR by increasing ISO, simply change the exposure in post.

I would therefore like to request/suggest that, in addition to the maximum shutter time in the ETTR settings, we also have the maximum ISO as a user menu item, in order to better control the ISOless characteristics that we do have as Canon shooters.

garry23

@a1ex

That was the first thing I tried, but it didn't appear to work, hence my post.

Just tried again and it does work :-)

Cheers

Garry