.dng - Blackmagic color space and gamma

Started by qqqavi, February 02, 2018, 06:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qqqavi

Hi everyone,

In Davinci Resolve, on the camera RAW tab, you can set the BMD color space and gamma. However, the names are generic: Blackmagic Design Color Space and Blackmagic design Film Gamma.

Does anyone know which one the ML's .dng is based on? Because each one of the following cameras uses a slightly different BMD color spaces and gammas (correct me if I'm  wrong):

Black Magic Pocket
Black magic 2.5K
BMCC 4K
URSA Mini 4.6k

Sorry if this has been asked before.
Thank you.

ryanfwood

I'm pretty new to the RAW functionality of ML and I am wondering this as well. Can you choose your color space? Is there a way to find out any footage's color space and gamma without knowing anything about the camera? I'm a little disappointed that hundreds of people have visited this single post and there's been no reply.

ibrahim

For cinemaDNG files (from ML): In the camera RAW tab of davinci's color grading tab I change decode using to clip, color space and gamma to black magic design. Highlight recovery checked.
In my project settings -> color management I set the timeline color space to rec709 gamma 2.4 (which is my default).

Color grade using the nodes and if you want to use a LUT create it in the begining and add it at the end. Create the remaining nodes prior to the LUT.

That my starting point when I grade footage to look cinematic and not videoish. Any better suggestions from others since I come mainly from the Pr/AE world.
Canon 5D Mark IIIs | Ronin-M | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 planar | Zeiss 35mm 1.4 distagon  | Zeiss 24mm f2 distagon | Zeiss 85mm f1.4 planar
Dual sound system: Tascam DR-60d MKII | Audio Technica AT899 | Sennheiser MKE 600