Recommendations for 5D Mkiii DaVinci Resolve Desktop PC?

Started by saf34, February 02, 2018, 11:52:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saf34

Hey, first post on the forum after a year using ML on a 5dMkiii.  Has changed my life!

If anyone has a minute, I'd love any recommendations on a desktop PC I need to build.  My workflow is:

- Film handheld 14-bit 1920x1080 uncompressed MLV
- Go home & transcode to 12-bit Cinelog DNxHD for storage
- Edit, stabilise, grade & render H264 in DaVinci Resolve 14

At the moment I am using an old i5 HTPC, grading in Premiere Pro. The problem: I have to leave it for a day to render the DNxHD and can't even play back while grading...

Any opinions on the best value DaVinci Resolve System for a sensible transcode and realtime render?

Deadcode

Quote from: saf34 on February 02, 2018, 11:52:49 AM
Hey, first post on the forum after a year using ML on a 5dMkiii.  Has changed my life!

If anyone has a minute, I'd love any recommendations on a desktop PC I need to build.  My workflow is:

- Film handheld 14-bit 1920x1080 uncompressed MLV
- Go home & transcode to 12-bit Cinelog DNxHD for storage
- Edit, stabilise, grade & render H264 in DaVinci Resolve 14

At the moment I am using an old i5 HTPC, grading in Premiere Pro. The problem: I have to leave it for a day to render the DNxHD and can't even play back while grading...

Any opinions on the best value DaVinci Resolve System for a sensible transcode and realtime render?

For 1080p footage you dont need beefy computer. Resolve use your resources much more effectively than Premiere and relies mostly on your GPU
I have and old i7 3770 + 7970 Ghz edition config and works like breeze with 1080p stuff, however it's not future proof, i can only edit 4K clips if i use Proxys
So my recommendation: Ryzen 1600 6/12 core, or i5 8600 with 6 core  with a GTX1060 or RX470. i7 8700K with GTX1070 is the golden choice for Davinci, but the price of the GPU's are insane nowdays, cryptomining 4eva!

Or simply upgrade your HTPC with a GTX1060 low profile edition.

dfort

I haven't done a side-by-side comparison but when we tested Resolve at the studio where I work it seemed that the Linux version was more efficient using the same hardware.

allemyr

There is a speed difference with the Studio version and the Lite version of Resolve during playback/export.

Could it be that you encountered Dfort?

Other then that, Davinci Resolve realies heavily on the GPUs as already stated. For noise reduction and other stuff its better with Nvidia and Cuda.