Digigear CF II Adapter

Started by ScottEDyer, January 31, 2018, 07:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottEDyer

Just wanted to let people know that I recently purchased a CF II adapter for Canon 7D from Digigear. When I tried to use it with an SD card the Camera wouldn't even start. I tried formatting the card etc and nothing worked. So you might wonder what this has to do with ML. Well it seems ML leaves something in the firmware even when you aren't running it from card because aft.er uninstalling it completely from the CF card that I run it on I was able to then use the CF adapter with an SD card without any problem. It was my understanding that ML ran totally off the card it was installed on and so if you put a card in the camera without ML on it then it should just boot as normal from the Canon firmware. It seems that this is not the case and I just thought I would post it here so if anybody else tries to use a Digigear CF adapter they will know about the problem.

Walter Schulz

If you do a web search on this site about "SD CF-adapter" you will get a lot of references why most SD-to-CF adapters won't work with ML.
Short: Most are crap.
Long:
It is true ML is running from SD. But an ML enabled cam will always look for a bootable card. And most adapter manufacturers are not able to support this request in their firmware (yes, your flash card contains some kind of firmware, too. All of them ...). Same goes for some older EyeFi cards.
This read access to card is the reason why ML enabled cams have a short delay during startup and recovering from sleep and it does occur with non-ML cards, too.