Is it possible to draw a line in the image when the picture is taken? 6D

Started by Chele, January 31, 2018, 05:47:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chele

Hello Ladies and Gents,

We have a special project coming up and we need to have a line, or grid, drawn in the picture as it is taken.  This is for technical purposes -- the line(s) will be use as reference points in the final product.  Ideally, the line would be through the center, but at the end of the day, I don't really care where the line is so long as it's always in the same spot.  I know it can be done after the fact, but would like to do it as the pictures are taken.  As you can tell, aesthetics are not exactly an issue:)

Is ML able to do something like this?

TIA for any help you might provide!

a1ex

You mean, to alter the image that gets saved into CR2 or JPG?

That's possible - there is an older attempt to preview Dual ISO shots that had a bug doing exactly what you request :D (there were unwanted horizontal lines in the image)

The experiment didn't turn out very well (lots of stability issues that I couldn't troubleshoot back then), but the source is still available as a proof of concept on how to alter the image before it gets saved. It's not implemented in current source tree.

Levas

I'm not sure how you need this line or grid.
But in the Canon Digital Photo Professional 4 software (which came with your 6d, or you can download for free on canon website with your 6d serial number).
you can display a grid over your photos(menu bar at the top -> preview -> grid), and you can customise the grid (menu bar at the top -> tools -> grid display settings).

Problem however is that you can not export the photo with this grid, so the grid is only visible in the Digital Photo Professional 4 software.

Chele

Alex,

Yes, we want to alter the image as it's being taken.

Levas,
I have access to imaging software, however, we want to do it in-camera, not after the fact.

Thanks for your replies.  I would be very surprised if this is even possible as it goes against the norm.