Sulcis Iglesiente 3K 16:9 5d Mark III 14 bit lossless Raw video

Started by baccinoluigi, February 19, 2018, 09:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baccinoluigi

I guys i want to share this beautifull place in 3k 16:9 14 bit lossless Raw video test
Hope you enjoy.

Sequence shot with 5dMK III
magiclantern-crop_rec_4k.2017Aug22.5D3113
Global draw on
Preview: Frozen LV
DNG 14 bit lossless images resolution: 3072 x 1660 - 24 fps.
Graded and edit in Davinci resolve 14
Irix 15mm f/2.4

whitelight

Nice places, but I think the video is not on par with the subject.
The clips are too static, same point of view with the same focal is recipe for boringness.
The light is harsh, you were probably there around midday, not the best time for landscape shooting.
No camera movements, though there is a lot of artifacts from bad stabilizing (for example look at the foreground moving at 1:10).
Music is totally out of context IMHO.
Opening line is lame and with a spelling mistake (Phothography). Same for the end credits (Video shoth with).
Definitely the place deserves a better effort, and the quality of 5D III + ML should allow that.

baccinoluigi

QuoteDefinitely the place deserves a better effort, and the quality of 5D III + ML should allow that
Thanks for the reply
We look forward to seeing your video tests

allemyr

Can't agree more with whitelight about the video.

14-bit is great from 5D3. I can't see any of the 5D3 raw benefits used in this video. Everything is off.

Sorry to say, I sound harch. But there so many other cameras if you only need the resolution of 4k sort of and by using another camera you could easier learn technique to make a shortclip.
But maybe this video is about something else. Its sometimes heavy magenta casts in your video, maybe its the ND filter.

ibrahim

Quote from: allemyr on February 20, 2018, 09:40:26 AM
Can't agree more with whitelight about the video.

14-bit is great from 5D3. I can't see any of the 5D3 raw benefits used in this video. Everything is off.

Sorry to say, I sound harch. But there so many other cameras if you only need the resolution of 4k sort of and by using another camera you could easier learn technique to make a shortclip.
But maybe this video is about something else. Its sometimes heavy magenta casts in your video, maybe its the ND filter.

I wonder which 5d3 raw benefits are you refering to?
Canon 5D Mark IIIs | Ronin-M | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 planar | Zeiss 35mm 1.4 distagon  | Zeiss 24mm f2 distagon | Zeiss 85mm f1.4 planar
Dual sound system: Tascam DR-60d MKII | Audio Technica AT899 | Sennheiser MKE 600

allemyr

Quote from: ibrahim on February 22, 2018, 06:49:23 AM
I wonder which 5d3 raw benefits are you refering to?

14-bit is the main benefit with its large sensor and ok lowlight capacity.

allemyr

The Panasonic G80 has 4k with great image quality if you won't grade it. Shure its 8-bit but thats enough for this stuff. It costs around 450 euros and the videofile size would be more then 10 size smaller which is still enough for 8 bit.

baccinoluigi

Quoteallemyr
I always start to grade dng from flat image
without any lut maybe you don't like
my grade or you can't image original file
how they was before, but i will never give up to use
grade my file specialy now that davinci resolve
has done an amazing job with version 14

baccinoluigi

Quoteallemyr
this is a mining area where there was a mine and the Magenta you see is that of the iron contained in the rock.
Anyway if you want to do better i can share original file
so you can show as wath do  you mean

IDA_ML

Baccinoluigi,

It was you who posted the first 5D3 videos shot at 3K and higher resolutions that inspired me and many of my colleagues to shoot RAW video with my cameras (7D and 100D).  Since then, I couldn't be happier.  I remember someone saying: Once you shoot RAW video, you never come back! And I fully agree with that.  So please continue enjoying the RAW video quality of your 5D3 and do not pay too much attention to what people like allemyr are saying.  If you wish to gain an impression of his filming and grading abilities, please visit his profile and you will find a link to his videos on Vimeo.  If you take a look at them and find out what he is up to, you will see that his attempts to attack you and his arguments are not to be taken seriously.  In another thread he also suggested to prepare a tutorial which many people would have found helpful but then he decided not to do that.

So, keep up the good work, Baccinoluigi!

allemyr

Quote from: IDA_ML on February 22, 2018, 04:52:23 PM
I remember someone saying: Once you shoot RAW video, you never come back! And I fully agree with that.  So please continue enjoying the RAW video quality of your 5D3 and do not pay too much attention to what people like allemyr are saying.  If you wish to gain an impression of his filming and grading abilities, please visit his profile and you will find a link to his videos on Vimeo.  If you take a look at them and find out what he is up to, you will see that his attempts to attack you and his arguments are not to be taken seriously.  In another thread he also suggested to prepare a tutorial which many people would have found helpful but then he decided not to do that.

The video that you are referring to i guess is this:
https://vimeo.com/home it's 18 months old.

I've also made this a month ago and doesn't have a story:
https://youtu.be/bxm2WjVu2DY

And this from a friends wedding:
https://vimeo.com/185807758

I find this thread a bit comic, but it also summaries some users here at Magic Lantern. I'am grateful for the creators of Magic Lantern. But I'am getting tired of this wow from the users who are happy they put a lot of effort in to installing ML on a camera and get a sort of working workflow and thats it, i get that its a hobby for most people and they can't put to much time in it. But isn't the main focus to create nice videos not shooting at the highest resolution with a eventual image quality that looks like, yes...

I understand that it's a Magic Lantern forum this, but I'am very grateful for the creators of ML to these possibilities in a camera like the 5D3. I see that the main focus is technique, not the end result, and shure we have different hobbies, but should I look at the first video in this forum thread and say wow just becuase its shot in close to 4k and in raw.

About my little tutorial that I have been thinking of. I've started to explain my workflow a bit. After my last post a member said he wasn't interested because he uses Mac OS, and no other responese, that was what i built my opinion on not putting to much effort in a tutorial.

Here's the thread: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=21544.0

And to answer the earlier post, no I won't try to grade your raw files. Some parts is grading but also how you do it in recording phase.
I'am not a big fan of the graded image that comes out to youtube in this case, with a LUT or not I don't mind.
I think this video is about the resolution (3072 x 1660 - 24 fps). And that you achived that, not how the end result looks like or is perceived.