New to Magic Lantern - CF card question

Started by custommadename, January 15, 2018, 10:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

custommadename

Hi, everybody!  I'm new to this forum and am excited to post here.  Sorry if something doesn't conform to your policies, and please help me communicate better if not.  I love ML!  I jumped right into recording RAW videos and have already shot a music video in RAW.  I'm still editing, but it's my first 50D RAW video and it worked well, so I am excited to keep enjoying this stuff.  I just have a few questions about how to use my CF cards.

I'm using the 50D Nightly Oct 31 2017 ML version, and before that I had been using the Aug 07 version.  I know there's a 12-7 version that I've downloaded but haven't flashed to yet.  With the 8-7 ML version, I was able to use my ML CF card, take it out, put in a blank CF card, and take photos as if ML were not installed.  Also, I was able to copy the 8-7 ML CF card from the main one to another and then swap cards and keep shooting video.  With this newest-to-me one, 10-31, I no longer can switch to another CF card.  When I put in a blank CF card without ML on it, the camera acts dead and needs to have the battery taken out before it can work again with the 10-31 ML CF card.  Is that normal?  Does 12-7 do that also, and what's a great way to use my other CF cards for photos once ML is installed with another card?

Also, sometimes the 50D just won't shoot video anymore, but the card maybe has one or two files recorded.  The camera shuts off or does weird stuff.  I've found that all I need to do is take the first couple video files off the card, and then everything is fine.  Those files work, too, and the only time I've had corrupted files was when I was shooting .MOV files and the camera acted just fine then.  Whenever my 50D acts up while shooting RAW, now I know that all I have to do is shut it off, get the files off of it, and start again.  It's frustrating, though, and I'm wondering if someone's figured out what the conditions are that cause this weird behavior.

Well, that's all I've got to ask about.  I hope to stay on the forum, participate here, and help out with what I can.  Thanks!

Walter Schulz

- Format non-working card using PC and cardreader. Format in cam after.
- Always give cam some time to complete shutdown. And wait some time *after* opening card slot before removing card. Cam will try to access card after opening card compartment and it doesn't matter if power switch is set to off.
Report results.

custommadename

Thanks for the quick reply, Walter!

I can't say the CF cards are plainly not working.  The only way to get the CF cards not to work is to have ML installed and then switch to another CF card.  When ML isn't installed, I can switch between all my CF cards without problems.  They used to work with previous ML builds, these cards without ML files on them.  I updated to a new build because recording video with one card and then switching to another made 24p video not work.

As far as giving the camera time to complete the shutdown, sure.  I do that all the time, but now I've had my 50D off for hours.  I put in another CF card, a blank one, and the camera doesn't turn on at all.  I flip the switch, and nothing happens.  It's like there's no battery.  I have to switch back to the ML CF card for the camera to work again.

But really, if I don't have ML installed or use the August 2017 version, it's cool.  I can change out CF cards all I want.

Walter Schulz

Again: Format non-ML card in cardreader, then in cam. I have reasons to request this procedure. Retry and report. You are not using an SD-to-CF adapter?

You missed another point: Cam with ML installed will access the card when card slot is opened. No matter if cam is on or off (for minutes, hours, days, ...).

a1ex

Alternative procedures:

- Install ML on some card, then format the same card from the camera and choose "Remove ML".

- When shutting down the camera to remove a card with ML installed, leave the power switch on, open the card door, wait until the LED activity stops and remove the card. That way, Canon firmware will not wake up some seconds after opening the card door (as it does when the power switch is off), so it should no longer lock up (this is the behavior for 5D2).

TLDR: leave the power switch on all the time, and always shut down the camera by opening the card door (and leave it open). Try it for a while and report back.