Confused about 5D Mark III raw options

Started by termoxin, January 14, 2018, 03:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

termoxin

Hello,
I've been reading lately about the "new" capabilities of 5d Mark III, but I'm really confused about some things.

1. Is it possible to record 4K Raw 25p/ FullHD RAW 25p / FullHD Raw 50P and also see it on liveview display? Or you can't see anything while recording?

2. Is it possible to record sound in 4K Raw 25p/FullHD Raw 25p/FullHD Raw 50p?

3. What crop would I get in 4K Raw 25p/FullHD Raw 25p/FullHD Raw 50p mode?

4. Is it possible to record in these modes continuously?

5. What in your opinion is the best mode to record in so the image is sharp enough, doesn't have too big files and it is possible to record continuously?

Thank you. I've tried to understand it myself, but the amount of information is just too large.

Kokoe

Quote from: termoxin on January 14, 2018, 03:08:42 PM
Hello,
I've been reading lately about the "new" capabilities of 5d Mark III, but I'm really confused about some things.

1. Is it possible to record 4K Raw 25p/ FullHD RAW 25p / FullHD Raw 50P and also see it on liveview display? Or you can't see anything while recording?
2. Is it possible to record sound in 4K Raw 25p/FullHD Raw 25p/FullHD Raw 50p?
3. What crop would I get in 4K Raw 25p/FullHD Raw 25p/FullHD Raw 50p mode?
4. Is it possible to record in these modes continuously?
5. What in your opinion is the best mode to record in so the image is sharp enough, doesn't have too big files and it is possible to record continuously?
Thank you. I've tried to understand it myself, but the amount of information is just too large.

Hi Termoxin

I am guessing by 'too large' you mean you put your head onto one of the forum areas and thought '..that is a lot to read'. However, I would advise with respect that learning requires a little bit of study and that without it, you will simply be asking the same questions everyone else had (including me) and be rightfully directed to a place on the forum to learn or read up. RSo reading the link by IDA_ML is necessary though and I do recommend reading all of it.

The 4k area is still an experiment so please don't assume it does wonders (although I am convinced it does) or that it will beat something like a RED (although again, from the results I am getting it is pretty darned amazing and has current 4k camera users looking over their shoulder as it is).

From my POV (as a newbie) to help you ...

1. Recording depends on whatever mode and/or crop mode and/or ratio you select. You will have to choose firmware type and then choose an experimental build depending on the firmware your camera uses and start making settings to see which you get on best with. One factor is how long you can record in modes so any expectation of 'continuous', at the moment, is dependant on a set of at least 3/4 settings and their related setup.
2. Sound is not possible on 'MLV Raw' - (that might be asking a bit much of a processor that has enough to do as it is). I use a mic and/or recorder with a tiny clapper board to sync sound though since there is not be a sync track to reference.

Those two answers should help you get going but you should come back and read the posts and forage for an increase of knowledge with anything. These is no 'quick fix' in filming. However, take a look on youtube under a '5D3 Raw 4k' search.
Here are a few of the best I have found where the  replies from them help you to learn as you watch the results.

3104x1298-14 Bit by Wayne
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9xtUzTSC30&t=2s

3200x1200-14 Bit by Luigi Baccino
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEykpKDEXj4&t=27s

Both amazing examples of what is possible with this stunning update.

Thank you again, Magic Lantern Team!
5D3 User. Lexar Card 2000x 300 MB/s. Komputabay  1000x 32GB. Fr: 1.2.3.