Night Time Footage and how to get rid of red lines??

Started by ZakWestbrook, January 13, 2018, 05:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZakWestbrook

I've seen a lot of videos of night time footage without these red lines. How do I get rid of them?

Levas

Your screenshot is rather dark, seems that there is very little ambient light.
If you took the same shot on a road in the city with lots of streetlights, it would be much better.
Also if you turned on a little light in the car, the face would be better lit.
So most videos you've seen without these lines probably had more light.

That said, the red lines are noise, most visible in really dark areas and shows up on high iso like iso 3200 or 6400.
There is a way to get rid of them, with darkframe substraction ( google for it, used a lot in dark sky photography).
Dark frame is shooting with the same settings(iso and shuttertime) and record with the lenscap on your lens. If you're using a video editor, you can put the dark frame recording on the same timeline and extract it from the normal video clip.

ZakWestbrook

That video was shot at 3200 and looked great through my camera lcd. When imported there was a ton of noise. There's a number of videos on YouTube where people are using ISO's even above 3200 with little to no noise at all. (Link below). Can you explain in more detail using premiere pro, how to use dark frame substraction? Do I record again with my shutter closed at 24fps, iso 3200? And then overlay it in th editor?

https://youtu.be/vjVVvu68YkQ

ZakWestbrook

kyrobb

IDA_ML

Quote from: ZakWestbrook on January 14, 2018, 12:25:12 AM
This link is 12,600 iso and little to no noise..

https://youtu.be/IADT5wwxmso

Looks pretty clean to me.  Did you use any noise reduction in post?

Levas

Quote from: ZakWestbrook on January 14, 2018, 12:19:31 AM
Can you explain in more detail using premiere pro, how to use dark frame substraction? Do I record again with my shutter closed at 24fps, iso 3200? And then overlay it in th editor?

I'm not familiar with premiere, but this is how it looks in Davinci, the basics are the same and can be done in most video editors.
You've got your normal clip on the timeline, you put your darkframeclip on top of it and change the settings of the darkframeclip to 'subtract', should be somewhere in settings called 'composite' I guess ? Now it subtracts the dark frame clip from the normal clip.
The dark frame clip should be shot at the same settings(same resolution, same shutter time, same frame rate, same iso etc.) as the normal clip, only this time, you keep your lens cap on the lens, so no light hits the sensor. That way your recording the noise characteristics of your sensor.

Levas

checked out the video links you posted.
There is indeed absolutely no noise  at those high iso  :o
But they are filmed in scenes where there are lots of lights around, streetlights car lights etc. Every light counts, it helps a lot.
Your shot is in a car at night(so no light from above, because you're in a car) and without much streetlights out there I guess...
Also the links you post both uses very fast lenses,  the canon 50mm f1.2 and the canon 50mm f1.8.
What lens did you use and what aperture/diafragma setting did you use ?

ZakWestbrook

Yes, using the 5d mark iii with magic lantern. Thanks for the info on the substraction! All my lenses do the same thing in any slightly darker spots even in well lit areas. I have a Samyang 135 2.0, tamron 45mm 1.8, tamron 35mm 1.8, canon 50mm 1.8. For the shot I posted in the car I was using the tamron 45mm 1.8 wide open.