Specific settings: 5D3 RAW continuous 48 or 60fps (3x3 pb) with realtime preview

Started by lechatlisse, January 12, 2018, 11:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lechatlisse

Hi there,

Was very excited to install the new experimental crop_rec_4k firmware on my 5D3 (fw1.2.3) with fast Lexar 1066x cards (which have been faultless over the years).

I am not interested in the (heavily compromised) 4K recording options. I've been using Magic Lantern for years now and I am simply excited to be able to shoot high quality 48fps or 60fps with 3x3 binning. But in spite of reading a lot of forum posts and paying for a guide, I cannot seem to find the correct settings: every different combination of settings I try gives me less than 10sec recording time...

To be clear, I want to:
-Shoot either 48fps or 60fps (at 1080p or 800p respectively) on my 5D3 (fw1.2.3) with 3x3 pixel binning
-Shoot continuous (or for at least a minute)
-Have a real-time preview (either on-camera screen or external HDMI screen)

Is this possible and what are the specific settings I need to use?

Thank you in advance!!

Jacob

koopg

Quote from: lechatlisse on January 12, 2018, 11:14:06 PM
Hi there,

Was very excited to install the new experimental crop_rec_4k firmware on my 5D3 (fw1.2.3) with fast Lexar 1066x cards (which have been faultless over the years).

I am not interested in the (heavily compromised) 4K recording options. I've been using Magic Lantern for years now and I am simply excited to be able to shoot high quality 48fps or 60fps with 3x3 binning. But in spite of reading a lot of forum posts and paying for a guide, I cannot seem to find the correct settings: every different combination of settings I try gives me less than 10sec recording time...

To be clear, I want to:
-Shoot either 48fps or 60fps (at 1080p or 800p respectively) on my 5D3 (fw1.2.3) with 3x3 pixel binning

Thank you in advance!!

Jacob
can I join the boat ? I am interested as well

sm105

It might not totally answer your question, but if you haven't already done so, try changing the video system from NTSC to PAL in the Canon menu.

JCut

Quote from: lechatlisse on January 12, 2018, 11:14:06 PM
Hi there,

To be clear, I want to:

Thank you in advance!!

Jacob

I'm also on a 5D3, 1.2.3 FW, and I can shoot crop_rec_4K  at 48p 3x3 for about 1 minute before I drop frames.  Here's my setup:

- I'm using a Sandisk Extreme Pro 128GB 160MB/s card.
- Using the March 10th experimental build
- I only load the minimum modes required. (mlv_lite, crop_rec, mlv_snd) 
- I'm setup as NTSC, 720p mode.
- In the MLV RAW menu, preview is set to "realtime".
- I always keep my camera on 12-bit lossless.  But I think when you go into the 48p 3x3 mode, it automatically changes to 14 bit lossless.
- I have overlays turned on, with only RAW histogram showing.
- I change the aspect ratio to 2:1  (48p 3x3 isn't true 16:9 ratio anyway, and I prefer some of the black bars)

Also have a SmallHD Focus monitor.   When in the 3x3 mode, the liveview preview is cropped in and stretched vertically, but realtime. (also offset more towards the top half of the frame -- anyone know if it can be centered or moved ??) 

The cool thing is you can half press the shutter button, you will see the correct framing (non-realtime low fps).  However with an external monitor, the realtime cropped preview will always show on the monitor so you can pull focus, and you can half press the shutter to see the framing on the camera's LCD.

The extra cool thing if you have a monitor like the SmallHD Focus, you can you set it to Anamorphic mode 1.66X, and it will un-stretch the liveview so it looks normal!

Hope this can help someone.  Goodluck!   ;)