Do I need Adobe Premiere (or Final Cut) to edit the mlv files?

Started by Anterblackbird, January 09, 2018, 02:42:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anterblackbird

Hello,

I'm contemplating installing Magic Lantern in my 5D Mark III. The main reason is that I don't have Adobe Premiere. When I searched for tutorials, everyone who was editing the videos used Adobe Premiere (or Final Cut) for some part of it.

My question is: can I just use Davinci Resolve (14) to edit the files after converting them?

Thank you in advance!

ThomasMcNaught

Hi,

No, you don't need Adobe Premiere.

I regularly shoot using Magic Lantern on my 5D Mark III.

You can find software to convert MLV to CinemaDNG sequences on the forums; I obtained one for OS X years ago, however recently learned that it is in breach of ML's ToS. To align myself with their position regarding their license, I've discontinued using the software and am currently in the process of updating my workflow to integrate open-source conversion software; I'm currently using the basic mlv_dump script.

I encourage you give ML a chance, and to find software that gives you a speedy workflow. You'll find more information over on the Post-Processing section of the forums.

Once you've got cDNG sequences, you'll be able to edit directly in Resolve. Premiere is simply a more intuitive NLE.

If you want more information, feel free to email [email protected]

All the best,
Thomas

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: Anterblackbird on January 09, 2018, 02:42:48 AM
My question is: can I just use Davinci Resolve (14) to edit the files after converting them?
Yes of course!
I am using MLVFS to extract mlv files into dng sequence and edit them directly in Davinci Resolve (14)!