Japanese garden in HRD video

Started by drkim, November 03, 2012, 12:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drkim

Japanese garden in moving HRD video.
Canon 60D, ML, Adobe AE.

The combined high and low frames remove the crushed shadow details but the highlights are not blown out.
Check out the high and low sample frames.

Youtube link may not be working. Sorry. Cut 'n paste:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exT3exUmVPw&feature=g-upl

3pointedit

Nice result how did you stop the leaves from ghosting as they blow in the wind? Did you shoot at 50 or 60fps?
550D on ML-roids

drkim

I shot at 60. I guess the leaves weren't blowing around fast enough to ghost.

IDA_ML

It looks like shot on one of the first cell phones with video.  Why is the quality so horrible?  Try one of the RAW-video modes.  The 60D should be able to provide much better video quality if you shoot RAW.

drkim

Oh, I agree!

This was way back in 2012 I was just getting used to ML, and I was there event shooting regular H264. I just had a chance to shoot a quick HDR test. It just seemed like a good spot for it!

I had to create my own HDR blend in After Effects, too. :)

Kim

IDA_ML

Again, please try RAW video.  The detail, colors, overall quality and dynamic range are so good that for shots like this, you do not HDR at all.

Good Luck!

teatotalTED

iDA_ML you realise that when this HDR video was shot in 2012 raw was not even available on the 60D until 2013 and that drkim has taken 5 years to reply to this thread ressurecting it. No wonder you're confused over why he chose HDR over raw !

IDA_ML

Quote from: teatotalTED on January 06, 2018, 11:08:49 AM
iDA_ML you realise that when this HDR video was shot in 2012 raw was not even available on the 60D until 2013 and that drkim has taken 5 years to reply to this thread ressurecting it. No wonder you're confused over why he chose HDR over raw !

Of course, I realize that and I am not argueing with him.  I just suggested, he should try current RAW-video to see what it is up to.  Magic Lantern has improved tremendously over the last 5 years!

drkim

Thanks to all of you for the supportive comments!

Yes, this was the very early days of ML, I actually had forgotten I had posted this until I checked my "Show new replies to your posts" link, ha, ha, ha! I can't wait to see what's been happening with my MySpace page either!! :)

I've also bought a Canon EOS-M as a 'B' camera, and have been experimenting with ML on that one as well.
I'm looking forward to playing with all of the new features in ML.