canon 6d focus x 4 function +

Started by psantia, December 29, 2017, 11:48:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

psantia

Hello,

is it possible to use Canon 6d with the x 4 switch + to make higher  resolution...I heard might be too much and dangerous for the sensor that may crash ?!

I ve tried once but I saw on the monitor in strange black and white with flicks ..so I stopped using it...

Walter Schulz

Switching to crop mode (loupe button) is the only way to use higher resolutions and common practice. Because of SD-interface limit (about 40 MByte/s) recording continuously in high resolutions is not possible without reducing bit depth and/or using compression. Problems with LV may occur, though. This (and more) is discussed in the very thread dedicated to "4k crop mode". Link to this thread in experimental build page.

If you have a source for "I heard" we would be happy to have a link.

Ceterum censeo experimental build page esse delendam.

Levas

The builds I'm using for 6d mostly behave like this:

-first time the loupe button is pressed -> gives 1x zoom, which is the same as normal view, no crop, but doesn't show Magic lantern info overlays on the screen.
-Second time the loupe button is pressed -> gives 5x zoom, depending on the build some might give a grayscale preview which gives correct framing for set video recording resolution.
-Third time the loupe button is pressed -> gives 10x zoom, gives normal color canon live view preview 3x zoom, framing is not correct for set video resolution, although the preview is in the center of recording window.
-When you press the loupe button for the 4th time, you're back in normal non crop, full sensor video mode.

That said, I always find using the 10x zoom option the most usable for actual recording, because this gives normal canon live view, which is in color and fast.
The 5x zoom grayscale preview is good to check actual framing, but for recording I skip to 10x zoom and hit record button.

That said, highest resolution in this mode for the 6d is 2688 x 960.
But to get usable recording times you need to use 10 bit raw recording(see downloads and experimental builds) and smaller resolutions

psantia