[Solved] Problem using multiple cards on 5D mark ii

Started by drewpertl, August 18, 2012, 01:18:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drewpertl

I'm having a problem using multiple cards on my 5D mark ii.  I'm using version 2.3 and have successfully installed it on one card but I can't seem to get the other two to function.  I copied all the files from the functioning card to the desktop with the card reader, and then transfered those files to the new cards, but ML doesn't boot..  I read the best practices but I can't seem to figure out if I'm missing a step or overlooking something simple.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks!

Malcolm Debono

You're nearly there!

After copying the ML files to the new memory cards, turn on the camera (with the new card inserted). It's ok if you don't see ML running at this stage. Open the Canon menu and follow the standard firmware upgrade procedure by clicking on firmware version. All this does is that it sets the boot flag on the memory card, which is required to boot ML. Simply restart the camera to make sure that it's working fine.
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

drewpertl

Malcolm Debono

Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

knoxstar

Quote from: Malcolm Debono on August 18, 2012, 02:18:11 AM
You're nearly there!

After copying the ML files to the new memory cards, turn on the camera (with the new card inserted). It's ok if you don't see ML running at this stage. Open the Canon menu and follow the standard firmware upgrade procedure by clicking on firmware version. All this does is that it sets the boot flag on the memory card, which is required to boot ML. Simply restart the camera to make sure that it's working fine.

I did this yesterday while trying to figure out how to work off of two cards but I've noticed it's not as straight forward as you describe it (the procedure is straight forward but the results are not). There are times when the camera won't turn on even though the boot flag is on both cards. Sometimes it works and some times it doesn't.....for me at least. I've had to pull the battery several times to get it booted up again. Time will tell. Need to test it more.