[WONTFIX] Proper audio recording at 24/30fps 720p

Started by tacotacotaco, August 18, 2012, 01:01:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tacotacotaco

Although it's easier to work with from a file size standpoint, I never use 720p recording because I dislike working with 60fps. With Magic Lantern, obviously I can go to more pleasant fps like ~24 and 30. Problem is obviously that the audio doesn't function properly in those circumstances, and I can't always get a good external source. Since these cameras clearly have the ability to record audio at ~24 and 30fps (they do it at 1080p), I'm wondering if there's a way to trick the system into recording audio at the same frame rate but on different resolutions.

Thoughts?

Alia5

Just do it the right way in Post, it'll be fine ;)

Malcolm Debono

You'll be better off with recording at 1080p and downscaling to 720p in post. You'll get much better picture quality, not to mention that audio will work perfectly  :)
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

Leon

Also remember that recording at 720p involves skipping more lines of the sensor than 1080p, so you would have more problems with aliasing and moiré than if you recorded 1080 lines and resized it properly afterwards.

ItsMeLenny

Hey tacotacotaco,

The problem comes to the fact that the video file is tagged at the framerate from what you've changed it to.
So if you're on 50 fps on 720p, and you change it to 25 fps, (Pal), then the video will play back twice as fast.
It speeds up the 25 to 50, as a result only half the audio can be saved because you are chopping the length in half.
I've questioned whether the frame rate tag can be changed depending on the fps override and apparently it can not.

Lenny.