Focus Peaking

Started by knoxstar, August 17, 2012, 10:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knoxstar

Hello ML community. New to the game and just starting out. Having said that, I am loving ML on my t3i overall. MY question is:

Why, when in movie/live view mode, and focus peaking enabled, am I getting small red dots ALL OVER the screen and not entirely on the objects I am focusing on? When I mess around with the focus ring they go away sometimes and focus on the object but for the most part they're always there, flickering all over the viewer. Didn't have this issue with the previous ML build. I've switched lens so maybe that has something to do with it? Perhaps f-stop, shutter, iso make a diff? Not sure. Thanks in advance folks.

My setup:
t3i
updated firmware/ML 2.3
Nifty-fifty 1.8

knoxstar

Never mind I figured it out. There's a couple focus peaking options I've come to find. Switching to d1xy fixed it...or was it d2xy...? Never the less switching from one to the other worked. My next challenge is to master how to use magic lantern on two SD cards without having to take the battery out when I switch cards.

he56ys5ysu7w4

For me that happens under dark circumstances when the camera is having a hard time finding focus.
D1xy or d2xy is better for dark scenes while the other is better for bright scenes (can't remember which. Check manual).
Amateur shooting family stills and video
Gear: Canon 600D/T3i -- Sigma 30/f1.4 EX DC HSM -- Canon EF-S 15-85/f3.5-5.6 IS USM -- Canon EF 50/1.8 II -- V3 LCD Viewfinder loupe -- Velbon RUP-L40
Editing with LR3 and FCPX