'New' EOSM Help!

Started by garry23, November 30, 2017, 06:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garry23

Ok I know I'm sometimes stupid, but I'm at a loss.

Just got another EOSM and I've reset all camera settings, tried different lens and with and without ML card the focus distance remains fixed on one number.

Does anyone have any ideas, ie seen this before?

Cheers

Garry

garry23

dfort

What does  :) mean?

Seriously, I've got several EOSM's and it can be a challenge getting all of them to match. For sure you reset both the Canon defaults and the custom settings?

garry23

@dfort

You got it in one!

It was a rookie mistake I made, I thought I had reset the camera, after picking it up on eBay, but I only reset the custom side.

Also I had not set the AF/MF as I knew I had to.

As I say, dumb mistakes.

Anyway I got there and now have a nice caged EOSM, although I'm not doing video  ;)

I also have an HDMI monitor so can use ML at any angle I like.

I'm a happy man, especially as I'm writing this after two IPA beers. Life is good.

BTW here is an image of my caged EOSM.

dfort

Nice--just had an IPA myself.

Looks like you have a caged beast. Love the wooden hand grip. Is that an 11-22mm? My favorite EF-M lens. Damn the shutter-bug!

garry23

@dfort

No shutter bug for me as I only use the 'magic' SD card that doesn't exhibit the bug.

I must say the cage and handle make the EOSM a pleasure to hold: handle for the left hand and a thumb grip in the hot shoe for my right hand.

Although the small size of the EOSM is great, the downside of the EOSM, ate least for a stills photographer with big hands, is the small size!

The cage/handle arrange works for me.

Cheers

Garry

drkim

Quote from: garry23 on November 30, 2017, 09:30:15 PM
BTW here is an image of my caged EOSM.
Hey Gary, that cage looks great. Where did you get it?

Thanks,
Kim

Danne

garry23

It's one from Camvate for the Sony A6300: https://www.amazon.co.uk/CAMVATE-Camera-Blcak-a6300-Cameras/dp/B073RCSM7Y/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_421_t_0/261-6201176-9530857?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=1W4GV9ABK4WDXMB4DNEW

It needed a little bit of 'hacksaw & file hacking' to perfectly fit the EOSM.

With a little bit of black paint, you would believe it was made for the EOSM.

I'll be writing up the hardware hack on my blog.

Cheers

Garry