No sound when importing DNG files in Resolve 14

Started by OptimusPrime, November 26, 2017, 04:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OptimusPrime

Hey Guys,

After a lot of testing I realized that for some reason Resolve 14 doesn't import(or recognize?) the .wav files included in DNG folders.

I shoot on a 5D mkIII and convert using MLVrawviewer. I also tried clips converted with raw2cdng.

The clips play back fine, I see the video but none of them have sound, the audio waveform also doesn't detect any sounds...how can I fix this? It used to work fine in 12.5. In the masterbin, a small musical note is displayed on the bottom left corner of the clip thumbnails, does it mean it knows the clips have sound but can't play it? (see attached photo)

I made sure to try playing back other type of clips (non DNG) in Davinci just to make sure it's not a muted audio or sound problem, audio works fine with all of them. I'm on windows 8 and nvidia. The same dng files have sound when imported into premiere I must add.

Is anbody experiencing this? Help please!

Thanks for your time

JK

Levas

You have to import the wav files in the media tab, just as you did with the dng-sequence.
Then you have to drop the wav files on the timeline, below the videoclip, and line them out with the beginning and end of the clip.

Francis Frenkel

dngs are not video, but "image" sequence, then audio is not link "by defaullt"
You must import both on the same time, line them, and link /group Audio + video to be able to move them on the timeline like "pure" video.

Francis Frenkel
www.ffrenkel.com

masc

I did not try it on windows, but I expect the same as on OSX:
audio must have the correct size (length). When exporting the audio 1:1 from a MLV, audio is some bytes too long (longer than the video is). MLVFS corrects the length on export to the number of frames. And in MLVAPP we implemented also this audio length correction. In Davinci 14 the DNG sequence is automatically displayed as "Video+Audio" in one line then. I am not sure if raw2cdng corrects it too... so try out another tool. ;)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

Wav length and metadata along with resolve folder naming scheme. Mlv_dump_on_steroids and and above mentioned apps got this fixed and ready(originally dmilligan implemented this into mlvfs)
You can also try windows tool batch_mlv which uses mlv_dump on steroids and exports with resolve compliant folder naming scheme.

masc

Yes, the correct metadata also has to be in the wave - sry, I forgot that. The Resolve Naming Scheme is not neccessary for automatic video+audio link (at least in Resolve 14).
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

OptimusPrime

Thank you so much for all of your responses! will try using mlvfs!

RTI

Canon 5DIII| Sigma 35/1.4|T 24-70/2.8 VC| Tamron 70-200/2.8 VC USD

sines

Having this issue on the Mac. Don't have any Windoze machines to run batch_mlv on.
I have already converted all of my MLVs to DNGs via MLV Raw Viewer, and have already dumped ALL the MLVs.. so I'm left trying to "resolve" this issue with Resolve. Are there any other ways aside from lining up these clips by hand?

Thanks!
Director | DoP | Creative Director
Arri Alexa · Arri IIC · Arritechno 35-90 · Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 6K · Canon 5D MKIII · DJI Focus, Matrice 600, Inspire 2, Ronin, Ronin-MX · Zeiss Standard Speeds · Zeiss Superspeed Contax Primes

OptimusPrime

Using MLVFS completely negated the issue. Thanks !