OT: Sony NEX & Alpha hack

Started by Malcolm Debono, August 16, 2012, 02:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcolm Debono

Hey there!

During the last few days, a developer has shown interest in working on a hack for the NEX & Alpha series on the DVXuser forum. He's already had some success in modifying a firmware for the A55. Me and Andrew Reid (from EOSHD) have offered our help since no one else did, and till now we have already purchased the first camera for this developer in order to use it for research & testing, financed through donations given by users.

The developer (known as Someone1.00) expressed his wish to have other developers who are also interested in this project help him out, which is the reason why I'm writing this post here. He is looking for the following:
- ARM decompilers
- CE Linux guru
- QEMU guru
- Binary file analysers (Linux guys who are able to see images patterns in binary and able to detect encoding or byteorder and depth are required)
- Mac programmers (not really necessary but can still help out to work faster)

Please note that this project is in no way affiliated to Magic Lantern. If any one of you is interested in helping out, please get in touch with me!

More info about this project here:
http://www.nex-hack.com/index.php/forum/12-hacking-project-general

BR,
Malcolm
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

Someone1.00

Quote from: a1ex on August 16, 2012, 11:50:19 PM
For decompiling: http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Decompiling

Thanks for the link.

Unfortunately don't work for me since easygui cannot be found.

a1ex

To install python packages, download them from source (from author's website), then type "sudo python setup.py install".

nanomad

Or you can use easy install which is packaged in most distributions :)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Someone1.00

vtrandal

This is very exciting. I had the chance to use an NEX-5N this summer here in the US. I intend to keep up with your work on the a55. I hope it leads to firmware mods, add-ons, or replacements to Alpha and NEX firmware in general.

Specifically, the NEX-5N and NEX-7 are stuck with a lousy bracketing mode. Sony has said they will *never* fix this. I don't think Sony did a good marketing study. Here in the US most HDR enthusiasts find the 0.3/0.7 EV steps in Sony's "Bracket Continuous" mode too small.

I will follow the nex-hack.com link given by Malcom above to see in what fashion I might be able to help.

Someone1.00

I've just published a tool to decrypt a firmware. Feel free to contact me for details if you want to try to do something with slt or nexes.