Previous topic - Next topic

N.Mendes

Hello everyone, hope you're fine,

the best dslr ever for me would be the 5d3 with

- magic lantern as it exists

- a clean hdmi output

- a 4k (or at least 2k) resolution

-60fps at 1080p

Why do you think? Is that a dream or something possible?  damn, canon should put all these options in the 5d3, a 4000 euros camera, hope they'll do something in the next firmware. In my opinion, they will, don't you agree?

ps: i have the 5d3, and it's a nice camera, but without these options, it's just a little upgrade of the 5d2, pretty bad

nanomad

The first point MAY be possible, the others...who knows. I'd say that 3 and 4 are next to impossible though
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

bart

I don't see the point of wishing for those features. You knew what you were going to get when you bought the camera. If it's not good enough then don't buy it!

Aside from the obvious big advantages of a full frame sensor I do see some key improvements:
- no more aliasing, moire and true detail that can be sharpened
- at least two whole extra stops of light sensativity with preserved image quality. This is huge for star timelapse where you get much better IQ at a shutterspeed right before the point that the star trails start showing up.

and that is right out of the box. I bet we discover some more useful things than in the digic4 series. I expect more options to manipulate the video encoder with more overhead in processor power.

Leon

I very much doubt that Canon will release a firmware upgrade that significantly improves video, especially not 4k or 1080p60, because they wouldn't want it competing with their far more expensive dedicated cinematography cameras.

The best they did for the 7D was to eventually give them manual audio control by a firmware upgrade years later, but not until they had given it to the much cheaper 600D, 650D and 60D, by which point it was starting to look a bit ridiculous that the 7D didn't have it.

It sucks that Canon has no interest in working with the ML team or implementing any of the cool extra features.

nanomad

They will never work with us, I can assure you that.
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Marsu42

Quote from: b4rt on August 16, 2012, 03:12:26 PM
- at least two whole extra stops of light sensativity with preserved image quality.

My 2 cents: While the 5d3 is a great body though imho currently still overpriced, the 2 stop gain is Canon marketing.

Everybody who wants to try download the raw 5d3/5d2 studio samples from dpreview and compare it for yourself. I cannot tell 5d3/5d2 apart up until iso3200, though the 5d3 has a nicer noise pattern at higher iso. There might be a slight improvement at iso6400 and above, but dynamic range decreases drastically so it has to be used carefully. Overall, I'd rather say the 5d3 has a 1/2 stop improvement over the 5d2...

Quote from: nanomad on August 22, 2012, 09:31:51 AM
They will never work with us, I can assure you that.

Since the whole thread is off-topic... last I read there were some positive signals, has the wind changed and the devs were turned down by Canon? At least they didn't make it impossible to run ml on the 5d3, and they don't void the warranty when ml is installed (but maybe the last is just due to the fact that Canon would fail at court).

nanomad

From what I can remember we had no official contacts whatsoever with Canon. They do not hate nor love us.

1%

They probably use ML themselves. Cheaper to let the community write the enthusiast software while focusing their own development on the brainless masses.

Marsu42

Quote from: 1% on August 22, 2012, 02:32:57 PM
They probably use ML themselves. Cheaper to let the community write the enthusiast software while focusing their own development on the brainless masses.

If so, I really wish they'd implement more hooks to improve ml's non live-view still shooting capability (af and so on)... Canon: pretty please with sugar on it?