Dual ISO not working now. -- 6D

Started by Chele, November 10, 2017, 03:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chele

Hello Everyone,
I have used DualIso many, many, times(it's one of my favorite features).  After not using the feature for a couple of months, it's not working.  The module is loaded.  Dual ISO appears in the "EXPO" screen but it's grayed out.  I can access the different setting in Dual ISO but it definitely does not do the DI exposure.

It's happened a couple of times in the past where Dual ISO was not on the list, rebooting the camera would bring the feature back.  The only thing I have done differently is that about two weeks ago I used the camera in Av. for a family event.  The camera is used in manual mode about 99% of the time.

Details:
Camera 6D
Manual exposure
Build: 2017Oct31.6D116(had previous version, no difference with new version)
Lens: tried several, no difference
Tried on two different memory cards, exact same results(Samsung, feature worked before in both cards)
removed battery

The following features are grayed out, even when turned on:
Auto ETTR
Dual IO
Expo. Override
ExpSim

After trying different cards, different version, and removing the battery, I know it's something I have done, I just can't think of anything!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Walter Schulz

Select ISO 100.
Reset ML settings to default.
Reboot.
Enable Dual-ISO.mo
Reboot
Access Expo tab
Turn on Dual-ISO in Expo tab.
Shoot.

Report back

Chele

Thank you for the quick response.
No change. Just one observation, sometimes the other features that were grayed out will be highlighted after turning the camera back on, this was happening even before the procedure you suggested. However, Dual Iso never gets highlighted, it stays grayed out, even if it is activated.

Chele

One additional comment, Dual Iso is highlighted when not activated, grayed out when activated (but not functional)

Walter Schulz

Image quality accidently set to JPEG or RAW+JPEG?
Insert a snapshot of your Expo tab here, please.

Chele

You know, you are the kind of person that it would be very easy to dislike :)
You made look far too easy.
That fixed it.
The camera had gone from RAW only, to SRAW and Jpeg. Any idea why this would happen? Is it just a hick up?

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me.

a1ex

FYI, when something is grayed out in ML menu, there is a message at the bottom of screen telling you why. Any hints for making it more obvious?

Danne

It's obvious to me but for those who miss out maybe it could blink a few times...

Chele

It's got nothing to do with obvious, I need glasses :(

To tell you the truth, I didn't realize the little messages would be related to fixing problems, I thought they just described the feature itself.

BTW, I'm not joking about the glasses!

a1ex

Quote from: Chele on November 10, 2017, 06:08:53 PM
To tell you the truth, I didn't realize the little messages would be related to fixing problems, I thought they just described the feature itself.

There were more issues like this, fixable by looking at these messages, than I can count, so it must be something with the UI.

These messages used to blink a long time ago, but they were found to be annoying.

Larger fonts would require scrolling, or maybe more lines. Would a popup work better? (mockups welcome)

Chele

No matter what you do, someone will complain.  I think it's a matter of education, I have now been educated -- I'll know to pay attention to that in the future.  In my case, I had not changed the RAW settings, and nobody else uses my camera.  ML has completely disappeared from the card in two different occasions and Dual ISO had failed to load up on other occasions(fixed by rebooting the camera).  I'm curious how the Canon side of the OS jumped from RAW only to SRAW and JPEG(I never use JPEG)?  I kept looking into ML only, so I'm surprised the issue was on the Canon side.

Audionut

A popup everytime the feature is activated in a state that in nonfunctional, would make it more obvious.

Walter Schulz

My 2 cents: Let's not go there.
Imagine every option depending on LV, photo/video mode or else giving popups after - intentionally - switching modes.

Audionut

//require feature to be activated by user.

Activated, not simply in an enabled state.
In other words, an enabled feature would need to be disabled and then enabled again, while in a non working state, for popup to appear.

Chele

In my case, the reason it didn't work was because the camera's settings, not ML's, changed(on their own).  Would anything else cause the Dual Iso to not function - with the info I provided?  The reason I ask, is because for it to be more obvious in my case, it would require for someone(coder) to go through ML and consider, and list, every possible combination and give the solution.  I don't know much about coding, but I do know a bit about manufacturing, and I know that the easier it is for the user the more complicated it becomes for the designer/mechanic, coder, etc -- it also opens the door for more bugs/conflicts to be created.  The pop screen was not needed in my case, I already knew the feature was not working, I just didn't know why.  I had suspected an issue with ML, not Canon's, side of the OS.  I for one, don't think you can/should make things stupid proof.

a1ex

Switch picture quality in Canon menu back to JPEG, then read the help text from ML on the Dual ISO menu ;)