Can't bulb exposure on eos550d

Started by samy_b, March 11, 2021, 10:21:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

samy_b

Hi,

ML works really fine on my eos550d, so as you know i can only shoot for 30 sec on my canon and if I have to increase the time I should put it on bulb mode.
When my canon timer is not on bulb mode I can use the intervalometer in ML and can shoot as many images as I want when configured, but as soon as I switch to bulb mode in my camera setting and set the timer to 1min in ML and but however the number of images I want in intervalometer, it still shoot a single shoot. why?

thanks

Walter Schulz

See https://wiki.magiclantern.fm/camera_help#intervalometer and https://wiki.magiclantern.fm/camera_help#bulb_timer for additional infos on how intervalometer works. For "debugging" you may want to use bulb timer setting "Display during exposure Show previous pic". Don't let "Intervalometer: xs" run below zero (= intervalometer duration shorter than bulb timer) or you're doing it wrong. If your problem still exists after adjusting settings accordingly: Please answer here!

samy_b

Thanks for your reply,

Read the guide but all seems in order.

In bulb timer settings display during exposure I only have these options:1- don't change and 2- turn off. There is no "show previous pic"
What do you mean by "intervelometre xs run below zero"?

My intervelometre settings:
Take picture every: 5 sec
Start trigger: half shutter
Start after 2sec
Stop after: 30 shot

If I didn't make myself clear, with these setting if my camera is not on bulb mode, I can take 30 shots, but as soon as I switch to bulb mode, the cam only take one shot and stop after.

thanks

Walter Schulz

Which build are you using?
Forget that. I just saw 550D has menu item "Show previous pic" disabled. The only ML supported cam not having it.

And it doesn't work this way! As described in linked help test "Take a pic every: 5 sec" will cause intervalometer to actuate shutter (or trying to do so) every 5 seconds which does not bode well with bulb exposure settings!

How long is your bulb exposure setting?

samy_b

Any time over 30 sec exposure makes this problem, i'm trying to shot for one minute.
How come that i can shot as many shot I want from 1 to 30 seconde and the setting "take picture every 5 sec" is on and it works well? But over 30sec it bugs?

I will try to increase "take picture every" over the bulb time and keep you updated.

samy_b

Alright I found the problem,

So just to begin with;  "take picture every x" is not the issue and even if the number is lower then the exposure time I'm still able to shot as many pics as I want in bulb mode or not.

As you know that pressing half the shutter let me begin the shoting process, but not in Bulb mode or at least not in my case.
I have discovered by mistake that if I press once half the shutter, the cam takes only 1 shot and stop after, but if I press twice the half shutter (2 beeps in a row) it will now take the number of pictures I put in "stop after x pictures".
As I mentionned earlier "taking pictures every" does not affect my shoting and that is whaever the number is (lower or high than the exposure time" the only difference if that if its lower there is no delay between shots.

Maybe my ML bugs cause it seems to functions not as the forum discribes.

Thanks