Honestly, I'm afraid to install...

Started by neocortex, August 15, 2012, 10:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neocortex

Honestly, I'm afraid to install. After seeing a sentence like this: And, remember that this software can damage or destroy your camera.

I have a 5D mark 2 and I have no money to buy another.

If you do not offer the least security, then they are fools who use the ML.

Sorry, but this is my opinion.

I would love to use, but after reading this, no more.

nanomad

See you, then  8)
Honestly we won't and will never give you any security. We try our best but we are humans and we can still screw up...like Canon, by the way. The difference is Canon has the money and time to do extensive testing and replace broken equipment (do they?). We don't.

EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

3pointedit

I don't understand why anyone would take the time to register on a forum and proceed to explain why no one else should bother? There are legal disclaimers and there is reality. The reality of evidence suggests that no harm will come to your camera, also I am pretty confident that you won't be struck by lightning. But it could happen.

I was concerned at the start too. I altered the firmware of my old Minolta, then my Canon P&S with CHDK. Magic Lantern is even easier to install than these, and the experience left me more confident than yourself.

It's funny how people will install software or even download stuff (with potential viruses) from the internet, onto their PC which could be much more detrimental and not even think twice about that...
550D on ML-roids

Malcolm Debono

Your loss  ;)

On a more serious note, that part has to be stated as some members don't understand the consequences that such software might have (especially when new users do not follow the install guide). It's a matter of whether or not you're ready to take this small risk for such great features. To be honest, I was also unsure whether I should install it or not back when the first version compatible with the 60D was released. A year later, I bought the 5D2, and installing ML was the first thing I did when I received the camera  :)

PS: Me and many other users use ML for professional, paid work such as weddings & events
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

g3gg0

you ever put a child seat into your car?
read whats printed on that stickers?

it says like
"warning: if you do it wrong, your child may get severe injuries, and may even die"
well. this encouraged me to double-check what i've done.

thats the point about the sentence you found.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

neocortex

It does not say that if I lose I properly install the camera, says that this software may damage the camera.

You there in the United States, go to WALMART and buy another, here in Brazil a 5D mark 2 costs the equivalent of U.S. $ 4,500.00 (considering taxes).
I have two 5D, a mark 2 and one mark 3. I went shopping in another country, in this case, Paraguay, where we do not pay taxes abusive in Brazil.

I would love to use the ML, but also work with weddings and can not have failures in the camera, since the mark 3 my wife uses for photos.

I wonder how many people here use the mark in ML 2 and if anyone had any serious problem with the camera using the software.

Sorry my english?

nanomad

Well, malcom, for one, does. And he shoots weddings

edit: some people had issues (just go check the forums). I'd say 99,9% of them come from not properly reading the instructions (i.e. removing the card or battery after shutdown without waiting for the confirmation blink)

As I said before, we try our best. As an example, when A1ex discovered that movie remap could cause Err70 and corruption he decided to remove that feature despite it being used by a lot of people...

On a side note, even Canon's official tools can lead to a non-operational camera, as someone sadly discovered... http://www.reikan.co.uk/photography/blog/?p=1550
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Malcolm Debono

Hank Palan from Rusty Red Studios also used ML (on his 550D) for weddings, as can be seen in this promo video we did for ML 2.3:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/whats-new/78-news/129-watch-the-ml2-3-video

Feel free to browse around the ML cinema, which contains some pretty good examples of ML being used for professional work:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/weddingfilm
C100 & 6D shooter

neocortex

I know that this is not the appropriate place to ask this question, but ...

A doubt.
The ML should be on the card whenever I want to use the same right?
Imagine the situation, I filled a card with videos, I'll unload and then format the card in the camera, then have to take the card to recopy the files from the ML? The process is the same?

Malcolm Debono

Quote from: neocortex on August 16, 2012, 04:40:26 PM
The ML should be on the card whenever I want to use the same right?
Imagine the situation, I filled a card with videos, I'll unload and then format the card in the camera, then have to take the card to recopy the files from the ML? The process is the same?

You can keep the ML files when formatting the card in the camera. So, all you need to do is copy all the footage from the card to your PC, and then just format the card in the camera and make sure that the keep ML files option is ticked.
C100 & 6D shooter

neocortex

Quote from: Malcolm Debono on August 16, 2012, 04:32:05 PM
Hank Palan from Rusty Red Studios also used ML (on his 550D) for weddings, as can be seen in this promo video we did for ML 2.3:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/whats-new/78-news/129-watch-the-ml2-3-video

Feel free to browse around the ML cinema, which contains some pretty good examples of ML being used for professional work:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/weddingfilm

In a 550D I would have installed the first beta version. :) )

Malcolm Debono

The scenario is more important than the camera. If I'm shooting a wedding and the camera fails, it doesn't matter if it's a 5D2 or a 550D!
C100 & 6D shooter

neocortex

Quote from: Malcolm Debono on August 16, 2012, 04:43:59 PM
You can keep the ML files when formatting the card in the camera. So, all you need to do is copy all the footage from the card to your PC, and then just format the card in the camera and make sure that the keep ML files option is ticked.

humm nice!!!

neocortex

I agree, but in this case the problem is the cost of the camera. Since the release of ML, someone has already reported, or someone knew of a serious problem with a camera where it crashed?

nanomad

From what I can remember, all the "serious issues" are related to people not reading documentation / FAQ / best practices.

But ML is developed by humans so we CAN screw up.

neocortex

Quote from: nanomad on August 16, 2012, 05:07:12 PM
From what I can remember, all the "serious issues" are related to people not reading documentation / FAQ / best practices.

But ML is developed by humans so we CAN screw up.

Motivator!

scrax

I'm following ML development for more than a year and I have not yet found a confirmed bricked camera report.
There was some reports of non permanent issue were user lost a shooting.

I suggest you to test it at first in not critical situation to have a personal opinion on how it's reliable. And then keep using it until you are confident with the functions.
The biggest issue fir me is that ML gives you so many options that it's easier to forget one active (HDR braketing for example) and so risk to have a unexpected shot some times...
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

Malcolm Debono

I totally understand your concern. It is up to you if you're willing to try it out or not (no one is forcing you to use it!). However, rest assured that many others have been doing plenty of work with it (in fact, most of those who tried the early releases of version 2.3 for contributors and supporters said that they feel that it is solid and can be trusted for professional work after testing it thoroughly).

If you decide to try it out, follow scrax's advise and test it before doing any important work. There are so many (useful) settings that this isn't something that you simply install and go for a shoot with. You need to adapt it to your needs and get the hang of it (such as the menu layouts and the shortcuts) first.
C100 & 6D shooter

mSpider

Honestly, I was the same way.
If you install it foollowing the instructions, you won't have a problem.
It isn't like clipping the wires on a time bomb.
Its really pretty easy.
The rewards WAY outweigh the risks.
The risk is pretty low--you won't screw it up.
Follow the directions, and if you get stuck, ask us.

nanomad

I think the discussion is over, I'm locking the topic. If you don't think so, please PM me

a1ex

Probably it should be sticky, as the answers in this thread are very good IMO.

wwjoshdew

I was afraid to at first. Then I thought, what the heck! I like it. But I have to disable it while recording, or the audio is super low.

ilguercio

Quote from: wwjoshdew on September 15, 2012, 11:58:52 PM
I was afraid to at first. Then I thought, what the heck! I like it. But I have to disable it while recording, or the audio is super low.
-.-
That's because ACG is turned off, probably.
Otherwise it would be full of people reporting that, don't you think so?
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

CanonGirl

Just checking - am I allowed to respond to the walmart comment.....
Please respect me as a new user and I will respect you as an old one...
50D/7D

jplxpto

Quote from: neocortex on August 16, 2012, 04:14:36 PM
It does not say that if I lose I properly install the camera, says that this software may damage the camera.

You there in the United States, go to WALMART and buy another, here in Brazil a 5D mark 2 costs the equivalent of U.S. $ 4,500.00 (considering taxes).
I have two 5D, a mark 2 and one mark 3. I went shopping in another country, in this case, Paraguay, where we do not pay taxes abusive in Brazil.

I would love to use the ML, but also work with weddings and can not have failures in the camera, since the mark 3 my wife uses for photos.

I wonder how many people here use the mark in ML 2 and if anyone had any serious problem with the camera using the software.

Sorry my english?

Caro amigo,

Honestamente, eu compreendo e partilho da sua preocupação mas, tudo na vida tem o seu risco!

Se você pensa que, utilizar ML tem um risco muito elevado e que,
a sua vida ficará muito complicada sem a sua marivilhosa camera talvez... seja melhor pensar duas vezes.
Você vai ter de pensar bem no assunto e ponderar as vantagem e desvantagens e depois é só decidir!
Eu creio que o risco é baixo. Existem milhares de utilizadores em todo o mundo a utilizar ML.
Pelo que tenho lido, eles parecem quase todos muito satisfeitos.

Nós gostamos de saber as preocupações dos utilizadores e a sua mensagem foi bem recebida.
Você partilha a preocupação de muitos... Esta equipa trabalha diariamente para simplificar,
reduzir o risco de instalação e melhorar ML no seu todo.

Com o devido respeito, permita-me dizer-lhe que aqui na minha terra diz-se que ... "quem tem medo compra um cão" :)

Desejo-lhe umas excelentes fotos... de preferência com ML :)

Cumprimentos

I apologize to the other for writing in Portuguese, but I think this case is appropriate.